PRO-106 no digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

anode505

OK, disclaimer lower then a newbie :)

I grabbed a RS PRO-106 (seemed to be a good scanner from my quick research. Few complaints, feature rich, and locally obtainable) Did I do bad getting the PRO-106? Also got an ARC500 lic. Though been programming it manually (*most* of the time. Been using the software to save set ups)

My county (Johnston, NC) Seems to Digital from most agencies and what-not. EMS, dog catcher, school buses, etc. are analog. Now NC has also been stated that its a VIPER system. That digital or analog?

I can listen to the analog stuff fine. But when I set the scanner up for digital, I get Zip. (It can't that quiet in my county) I've followed a few net resources and YouTube vids. (and all with a factory reset'ed scanner)

Is there a trick to digital? I've just been programming it with P-25 auto. (Tried moto 800/900 for viper)

Is there a glossary in the Wiki? (terminology is the key to learning something new)

(on a slight minor q, when a communication comes in the display shows the AFS (ie: 10-081) can I change that part to say EMS or something of my choosing?)
TIA,
Dave

vinzep491

Yes sir - The 106 is the perfect scanner for digital.
They do, however, have a much more extensive programming process than your typical analog channel.

I suggest using your software to the fullest :) That will surly get you up and running.
There are many "pro 106 Quick Guides" on the Wiki page and in the forums. Check it out... and trust me - Once you start fully utilizing the programming software and cable, you will NEVER go back. Just one of those things. Expecailly as more and more systems are getting harder and harder to program.
Trust me.

SCAN ON

Drafin

My county (Johnston, NC) Seems to Digital from most agencies and what-not. EMS, dog catcher, school buses, etc. are analog. Now NC has also been stated that its a VIPER system. That digital or analog?

Welcome to Radio Reference.

Viper uses both digital and analog talk groups. The system itself is a Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink using Analog and APCO-25.

Is there a trick to digital? I've just been programming it with P-25 auto. (Tried moto 800/900 for viper)

Viper should be programmed as a MOT 800/900 with default trunking tables.

I'd also suggest reading up in the NC forum here, lots of active members with lots of good local and Viper info. Lots of good folks in there.

Draf

Status
Not open for further replies.