PRO 106 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonkw

I just got a call today from the repair center. They want over $200 to fix my PRO 106. They said the recieving board is bad. I just got it back from them last month. Last time, it was the volume control($60). The warrany had expired by 2 weeks that time. I must have gotten a lemon. Is the GRE PSR500 any more reliable, even though it is basically the same scanner?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
My buddie has the RS106, i have the GRE500, my buddie decodes the ILL Starcom Digital system "BETTER" with his 106 than my GRE500...???

Wow might as well get a used one that is working fine, but then again if you pay the 200 hopefully it is up to par and reliable. The 500 is good or you go with the Pro 197 or PSR 600 etc...

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Refurb 197's available online at RS for 300 bucks. In most cases, refurbs are turn-ins on RR's 30 day policy. Rechecked and re-boxed ready to resale. Same warranty as original.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
My Vote: GRE

I just got a call today from the repair center. They want over $200 to fix my PRO 106. They said the recieving board is bad. I just got it back from them last month. Last time, it was the volume control($60). The warrany had expired by 2 weeks that time. I must have gotten a lemon. Is the GRE PSR500 any more reliable, even though it is basically the same scanner?

I have made several comments regarding my decision to exclusively buy GRE over RS products. In my history, I have not had positive experiences with RS.

On the other hand, I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with GRE. They deliver the goods. I would grieve my loss and buy GRE. My PSR 500 is a wonderful radio. It has sustained some might hard hits. "It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin."

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Refurb 197's available online at RS for 300 bucks. In most cases, refurbs are turn-ins on RS's 30 day policy. Rechecked and re-boxed ready to resale. Same warranty as original.
Oops :twisted: had RR rather then RS on 30 day policy.

bkantor

Having worked for RS in the past, my advice would be to escalate your problem. If the radio is just recently out of warranty and recently fixed, it is worth a try to contact someone higher up in the RS management chain to see if they will cover the repair. Management used to be instructed to take care of such complaints if they came high enough up the chain...hopefully that hasn't changed over the years. Doesn't cost anything to try!!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
RS Lemon?

Having worked for RS in the past, my advice would be to escalate your problem. If the radio is just recently out of warranty and recently fixed, it is worth a try to contact someone higher up in the RS management chain to see if they will cover the repair. Management used to be instructed to take care of such complaints if they came high enough up the chain...hopefully that hasn't changed over the years. Doesn't cost anything to try!!

I too agree with this recommendation. I would ask to talk to someone else higher in rank in RS rather than those in the bottom of the Viking ship being flogged.

I agree, what do you have to lose? In the reference section of most libraries, there is a way to find the board of directors of most corporations. I had one friend who wrote the board members until the company satisfied his complaint. He eventually won. How much energy to you want to expend?

jasonkw

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I told the repair center not to fix it. I have dropped it a couple of times, and I suspect that it what caused the problem this time. It looks like I will be without a scanner for a while. I will wait until it goes on sale again. It is hard to justify repairing a scanner when the cost to repair it is over half of the price of a new one.

I find it hard to believe that the scanner is so fragile that a drop could cause that kind of damage. I had in the scanner master soft leather case at the time.

As far the 197 goes, that won't work for me. I need the PRO106 for its portability.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Scanners & Gravity

I can assure you that dropping these radios can have dire consequences. But, your level of protection would be increased if you were to drop that soft leather case in the trash and get something that will help better protect your investment. I swear by this radio case:

GRE Hard Leather Case with Swivel Belt Clip

I have dropped my scanner over 50 times. Some of these drops have been from the dash. Some drops have hit the asphalt. But, my leather case has helped me out. I strongly recommend it.

Sorry to hear about the death of your radio. You might want to check for second hand units on Ebay or the pawn shop. From time to time, these surface. Save your USB cable.

DWW

jasonkw

They are on sale until the 17th.... PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com
You can get the GRE for $5 more shipped,with accessories and you don't have to pay any tax.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I am considering this for the future, as I am unable to get one right now. I am considering the GRE, as the PRO 106 seems very fragile, especially for a portable. I will get a better case with it.

InlandAZ

I am considering this for the future, as I am unable to get one right now. I am considering the GRE, as the PRO 106 seems very fragile, especially for a portable. I will get a better case with it.

Why? They are both manufactured by GRE - they are the identical except for the speaker placement and RS logo.

jasonkw

Why? They are both manufactured by GRE - they are the identical except for the speaker placement and RS logo.

Eariler in the thread someone said the GRE was better for taking abuse. Also, I may have an Amazon.com gift card soon. The GREs are available there, the PRO 106 isn't.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
GRE & Abuse

Eariler in the thread someone said the GRE was better for taking abuse. Also, I may have an Amazon.com gift card soon. The GREs are available there, the PRO 106 isn't.

I doubt there would be any difference in the integrity of the RS Pro-106 & the GRE PSR 500 since they are the same basic radio.

Although I have dropped my PSR 500 many times over the years, the only thing that has saved my radio is the aforementioned hard case. It does the job & more. The case will likely help the drops.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Beware of GRE Radio Dealers

When I bought my GRE radio, I went through Amazon to find a good deal. There are some who sell the radio without factory authorization. I don't know if this affects the warranty or not. You might check with GRE. If you need the telephone number, I have it.

When I originally bought my PSR 500, I bought one through a business that sold Fender guitars, Harley motorcycle parts and scanners. They sold me a Candadian scanner which they eventually replaced with an American version.

Buyer beware!

WAScanMan

Black Friday is coming up in a few months here (if you can wait that long, I know I couldn't) I got my Pro-106 new for $300+tax last year on black Friday. Just be prepared for the die-hard shoppers wanting to trample you just to get a good deal. Unfortunately last year the $300 sale was available in store only for my location.

jasonkw

Black Friday is coming up in a few months here (if you can wait that long, I know I couldn't) I got my Pro-106 new for $300+tax last year on black Friday. Just be prepared for the die-hard shoppers wanting to trample you just to get a good deal. Unfortunately last year the $300 sale was available in store only for my location.

This is probably what will happen. Like you said, I just have to be patient.

Again, thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

BTW, I still have not recieved the old one back from the repair center, and it has been over a week.

jambo

If I were you, I wouldn't except that answer from RS repairs. If they were in there messing around with the volume control, most likely it was something they did. I would demand they either fix it or replace the radio. Simple as that. My past experience with RS repairs was not a good one either. They tried to feed me the same line one time when i sent my Pro96 in to have the CPU replaced. Keep in mind, this radio was still well under the extended warranty I had purchased when i bought the radio. After haggling back and forth with them for a couple days, they finally admitted to me, that they (repairs and RS store) had lost my radio. So for future reference make sure before you send it in you take down the serial # as well, because I have also experienced RS trying to send people back somebody elses (or re-manufactured) radio. Now I may seem to be knocking radio shack here, but I'm not. All I'm saying is cover you tracks when dealing with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.