Pro-106 programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastrocks400

I am trying to program my scanner by hand, and have a few questions:

1)Can you assign a frequency a certain ID? EX--460.2125 i put in bank 4 but does it have to be in numerical order? Or can i make that frequency ID# 500 if i wanted...

2) I assigned a frequency to ID 19 and than deleted it... now when i go to program another frequency it skips ID#19 and goes to 20.... how do I change this? Or get ID 19 back?

3)I have both the 106 and pro-528... and I receive signals on the 528 about a tenth of a second faster than the 106, which sometimes does make a difference if it is just a quick transmission.

Thanks everyone.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Manual Programming the 106

You are at the mercy of the scanner when yu are "manually" programming frequencies. It assigns whatever is available. When I got mine, it started out with numbers like 895 and up! Only by using the Win500 or other software can you "reassign" ID numbers!

eastrocks400

Also this scanner comes in just about a tenth of a second after my pro-528 will, and this could make a difference... anyone know anything about this? I have played with "delay" and all...

eastrocks400

Cutting out?

My scanner now seems to be "cutting out" about a tenth of a second of audio while it is on a frequency. (conventional) my pro-528 does not do this. What is wrong?

jcase469

My scanner now seems to be "cutting out" about a tenth of a second of audio while it is on a frequency. (conventional) my pro-528 does not do this. What is wrong?

I have noticed this also. Also if CTCSS is enabled on some CONV freqs the scanner sometimes completely ignores any activity on that freq. Other freqs with CTCSS enabled never seem to have a problem. The 85.4 tone seems to be the one with problems and that is a common tone in my area for law enforcement and fire depts. I have not messed with any of the Expert settings yet but will soon.

SCPD

QRT
you are missing the first part of a conversation because the scanner is looking to see wheather or not the signal is digital. to fix this, first press prog, then func, then glob. scroll down to DG INT PRIME. change at the beginning.

StinkyB

Dg Int Prime

you are missing the first part of a conversation because the scanner is looking to see wheather or not the signal is digital. to fix this, first press prog, then func, then glob. scroll down to DG INT PRIME. change at the beginning.

Change the DG INT PRIME from 60 to 30 that might help.

jcase469

Change the DG INT PRIME from 60 to 30 that might help.

Thanks for the tip but that doesn't help. I'd already done that.

More info.......

One of the freqs (objects) involved is 154.800 and uses a PL (CTCSS) of 85.4. If Squelch Mode (Squelch Type) is set to Search or None for this object all is fine. If when there is activity on this object and I hit Store (if it is set to search) immediately the problems start. The problems also start if the squelch tone is set up in PSREdit or WIN500 and then uploaded to the scanner.

The first thing noticeable is a really atrocious squelch tail (squelch crash) at the end of every transmission. The next problem is that from that point forward the radio fails to even detect transmissions on that freq (object) quite frequently even though other scanners pick it up. Also the problem of missing the first few seconds of transmissions starts. This happens even if the radio is in manual and locked on the freq (object). As soon as I set the freq (object) back to squelch search or none, everything goes back to normal and no transmissions are missed and there is no obnoxious squelch tail.

I am aware that there is a setting or 2 that may help the squelch tail but it shouldn't be needed if there wasn't a problem in the radio.

The problem so far seems to be with the 85.4 tone. The few other tones that are set on other freqs (objects) seem to be fine. The missed transmissions seem to happen only on the PRO-106 but not the PRO-197 sitting next to it. The atrocious squelch tail happens on both with the 85.4 tone set.

I have looked in the GRE forum and the GRE Yahoo groups but so far have not found any reference to this problem with the GRE models. Of course I could have missed them. This is the only place so far that I have seen the problem(s) mentioned.

It is not really important that I use the PL tones but it is irritating to pay so much for a scanner and have this problem crop up.

There are a couple of frequencies that I monitor that are community repeaters and I only want to hear 1 or 2 users on those so I have the PL's set for those users. Those freqs (objects) with their tone(s) set all seem to work good. Of course the PL tones are different, CTCSS-173.8 and DCS 315 and 412 for example.

Any ideas, anyone else noticed this, is it just 1 or 2 tone frequencies that these radios have a problem with, do the GRE's also have a problem????

Last edited:

grumpy_hermit

I regularly monitor LPD (154.800) and also notice the squelch tails sometimes. I haven't really tried to figure out a pattern to when it does and does not happen but it is annoying to say the least. I'll try to find time to experiment to see if we have the same results. I'll also try to compare the behavior of my old scanners (Radio Shack) to the new ones (GRE). Under normal conditions, I have the CTCSS set in the GRE units.

StinkyB

Do you have the modulation(MOD) set to auto of FM? I remember reading that the 106 whould have a slight delay if set to auto, radio has to determine what modulation before it sends it to the speaker.

DonS

Do you have the modulation(MOD) set to auto of FM? I remember reading that the 106 whould have a slight delay if set to auto, radio has to determine what modulation before it sends it to the speaker.

That setting ("Modulation: Auto") will not create any noticable delay (unless you can discern a couple hundred nanoseconds) - "Auto" merely tells the scanner to choose AM or FM based on frequency; this is done in a lookup table as the scanner is tuning.

eastrocks400

Ok-got everything fixed for the most part. About the transmissions cutting out randomly--i had a CTCSS set for 179.9. Set the squelch mode to none and have not noticed this problem. Weird thing is i have about 5 other frequencies part of the County police with different frequencies but the same tone code--no problem with them.

jcase469

Ok-got everything fixed for the most part. About the transmissions cutting out randomly--i had a CTCSS set for 179.9. Set the squelch mode to none and have not noticed this problem. Weird thing is i have about 5 other frequencies part of the County police with different frequencies but the same tone code--no problem with them.

Same thing here. If I set squelch mode to none there is no problem. Also it seems to only be a problem with the 85.4 CTCSS tone so far and only on some frequencies like 154.800 and 155.520. The squelch crash problem seems to also be only on the same frequencies and the 85.4 tone.

I ended up doing the same as you eastrocks400. I simply keep the tone mode set to none on those frequencies (objects) and there is no problem. But that should not be necessary.

I think that one of two things are going on.

1) There is a problem with the CTCSS tone on the repeaters that these scanners can't deal with. Perhaps the tone is a little off frequency??

2) There is a flaw of some sort in the design of these scanners that is the problem.

I am inclined to think that it is probably number 1 since it seems to only happen with certain frequencies and tones.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
.. if CTCSS is enabled on some CONV freqs the scanner sometimes completely ignores any activity on that freq. Other freqs with CTCSS enabled never seem to have a problem...

I have this prob on my Pro106. My local PD, FD, and LG use 3 different
freqs with a 167.9 PL on each. It won't hear anything if I program the
code. I had a Pro197 and things worked okay with the PL programmed.

Even took my first 106 back -- my replacement had the same glitch.

What's odd is my 197 ignored a signal with a 114.8 PL programmed
for one town, heard others with that code - while my 106 didn't have
a prob with the signal that my 197 did.

Something isn't right somewhere.

eastrocks400

I have this prob on my Pro106. My local PD, FD, and LG use 3 different
freqs with a 167.9 PL on each. It won't hear anything if I program the
code. I had a Pro197 and things worked okay with the PL programmed.

Even took my first 106 back -- my replacement had the same glitch.

What's odd is my 197 ignored a signal with a 114.8 PL programmed
for one town, heard others with that code - while my 106 didn't have
a prob with the signal that my 197 did.

Something isn't right somewhere.

I have two frequencies with the same CTCSS... one works fine with it, the other frequency just cuts out un-controllably. Firmware update anyone? about time...

dick122

""I have noticed this also. Also if CTCSS is enabled on some CONV freqs the scanner sometimes completely ignores any activity on that freq. Other freqs with CTCSS enabled never seem to have a problem.""

On my scanner it's 154.190 that is a problem. I set the tone to 306 and the transmissions cut out all the time! I removed the tone and everything is fine. Firmware update or something else a problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.