Pro 106 took a tumble off the dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElJDub

My father owns a Pro 106 and had the idea to set it on the dashboard, but when he took off it tumbled off the dashboard and banged against the stick shift in his car and onto the floor. I tried reprogramming it because I had thought that maybe some buttons had gotten pressed on the way down and had set it in a different mode or something. But it will not pick up the way it picked up before it fell.

My dad tried taking it to the Radio Shack he bought it at, but those stupid sales clerks didn't know their own butthole from a hole in the ground on what to do and were of no help at all.

Is there any further troubleshooting that I can do to figure out what kind of programming problem it may be (if it is)? If not, what else can be done because the limited warranty may already be up because it was bought about a year ago.

Thanks for any assistance.

pinetree

I would check the connections to the antenna from the main board. A good bump can pull them loose. This could make the pick up bad.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
have tou thought of the simple test to check the weather service frequencies? If you can not hear them, then the fall from the dash probably broke the connection from the antenna to the circuit board.
How old is the unit? If less than 1 year, have it sent in to Radio Shack repair under warranty. If older than 1 year, RS repair will look at it for $20.

Your statement Quote "but those stupid sales clerks didn't know their own butthole from a hole in the ground on what to do and were of no help at all." is un called for. Radio Shack does not allow their employees to open customers equipment. The only thing they can offer is to send the item to repair.

A simple test is to check the weather service frequencies.

ElJDub

I would check the connections to the antenna from the main board. A good bump can pull them loose. This could make the pick up bad.

I tried it. It seemed to help a little, at least at my house.

have tou thought of the simple test to check the weather service frequencies? If you can not hear them, then the fall from the dash probably broke the connection from the antenna to the circuit board.
How old is the unit? If less than 1 year, have it sent in to Radio Shack repair under warranty. If older than 1 year, RS repair will look at it for $20.

Your statement Quote "but those stupid sales clerks didn't know their own butthole from a hole in the ground on what to do and were of no help at all." is un called for. Radio Shack does not allow their employees to open customers equipment. The only thing they can offer is to send the item to repair.

A simple test is to check the weather service frequencies.

I checked the WX channels, but the wouldn't pick up. As for the warranty it's been right around a year, but I can't remember if it's been over a year or under. Depending on what the repair may be if one is needed, how much do they generally charge to repair it? Or does the 20 bucks cover any repair as well?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
have heard the cost is between $40 and $70 and the $20 will go towards that is you choose to have ie repaired. Thet will also make sure the radio is tuned to factory specs and have the latest firmware.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
if you value the radio then send it in for repair.a new one will cost 250.00-300.00 so even if its 70.00 you are ahead of the game. NEVER put a hand-held on your dash buy a vent radio holder so it doesnt fall that distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.