Pro-162 now on Radio Shack web site $199.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixwagen

Any reason to buy a Pro-162 over a GRE PSR-300/Pro-164?

It does have a faster scan rate. I don't know if Signal Stalker is better or worse than Spectrum Seeker.

I am partial to Uniden, but that might not be reason enough.

Maybe I should grab the last of the BR330Ts to satisfy that need.

Statevillian

Sorry, I stand corrected.....

kinekep said:
Hi State,

You are confusing the Pro-162 with the Pro-163. The 163 is the same as the PSR-300 in most ways, but the Pro-162 is a uniden made scanner for Radio Shack. As far as I know, there is no other similar type radio on the market with it's features. This radio should have a few new features according to the FCC manual. Some kind of "bandscope" function, close-call DND, etc... The only thing that I think it won't do which I wish it would is AM mode on the 138-144 MHz band.

You are right. My error. Now I was watching for the 162 and in the Wiki it showed 2000 channels....But, on the Radio Shack site it is 1000, and no mention of status bits...

I agree with other posters that a different face on this would have been better.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
The pic on the right is spitting image of a PRO-528. I'm holding a 528 in my hand looking at it right now. I see that the difference between the 528 and the 162 is the 162 still has 1000 channels but broken down into 20 seperate banks instead of 10. And they added the 700MHz band, which is rediculous, because it will all be digital.

For the money, get the PRO-164. With the 164 you will be able to add alpha tags and CTCSS and DCS tone codes as well as decode them. The 162 has the Signal Stalker 1 (Uniden's method) and PRO-164 the Signal Stalker 2 (GRE's method) modes, which are entirely different as far as picking up signals. I actually prefer the Signal Stalker 1 mode on the PRO-528 better, and the 528 logs hits to channels 1001 thur 1010 so you can go back and look at them later. I presume the 162 will do the same.

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
PICS, PICS, PICS,Please!

As soon as someone gets one, could you please post some close, detailed pics of thing? The RS website's picture looks like it was taken a mile away!
By the way, there is no mention of it being able to tune 6.25 khz steps, anybody know either way?

Manny

Last edited:

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
letarotor said:
For the money, get the PRO-164. With the 164 you will be able to add alpha tags and CTCSS and DCS tone codes as well as decode them.

The Pro-162 will also do Alpha tags, CTCSS & DCS tone codes per the RS website and the original FCC posted draft OM. The picture of the "white" 162 was the demo unit used for initial concept development, and the other is in fact a Pro-528. One of the newer features of this rig is the band scope display while it is doing signal stalker-I sweeps, according to the draft manual again. As far as I can tell from draft literature and current item description on the RS website, the only disappointment for this model (for me) is the inability to switch modes (AM/FM) in any of the bands, which means that hearing 137-144 MHz AM Milair would be out of the question (which may, or may not be an issue depending on the users location and type of milair traffic that he/she could hear). Anyways, other than that, it seems like a full-featured ANALOG trunk tracker that will compete with the others well.

Terminal

scanernutt said:
As soon as someone gets one, could you please post some close, detailed pics of thing? The RS website's picture looks like it was taken a mile away!
By the way, there is no mention of it being able to tune 6.25 khz steps, anybody know either way?

Manny

I snapped pics at relevant angles and stood the 162 up next to both the 528 and 96 for reference. They'll be up as soon as I'm out of a certain job that won't allow me to access Photobucket/etc.

I think many will be pleasantly surprised, the screen is both huge compared to the current lineup, and the text is very readable.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Great! Thanks!

I can hardly wait!
I am looking to get this scanner if it is half way decent! We will see!

Manny

Terminal

Aaaaand the picture dump:

Front View-
front.jpg

Back View-
back.jpg

In-Hand-
in_hand.jpg

Keypad-
keypad.jpg

Regular Scanning-
reg_screen.jpg

Signal Stalker Lock-
SS_screen.jpg

Next to a Pro-528-
162vs528.jpg

Next to a Pro-96-
162vs96.jpg

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Awesome!

Terminal, Thanks!
Can you give some first impressions? IE...sound, feel, button press, ect...

Looks good! I wish the whole thing was black (My opinion only), but it looks really good, better than I expected!

Manny

Last edited:

Terminal

scanernutt said:
Terminal, Thanks!
Can you give some first impressions? IE...sound, feel, button press, ect...

Looks good! I wish the whole thing was black (My opinion only), but it looks good!

Manny

Sound definitely stands above my Pro-95, the 162 seems to have a lot of punch in the midrange. It was even a good bit clearer than the external speakers we have hooked up to our base models.

Button feel was a little squishy for my tastes, but I don't foresee the need to mash the things for a response.

It uses the split battery pack (2 in case, 2 in cover) with an alkaline/NiMH switch, which I prefer over the 4AA holder that can shake around.

Didn't really have a whole lot of time to play around with it, but I'll browse the manual and do some tinkering tomorrow. Anyone who has specific questions, please let me know and I'll do some hands-on testing.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well, So far so good!
Thanks for the brief review here. I have a specific question. A few towns neighboring mine have switched to 7.5 khz(?) step frequencies but in the 150 mhz range. (151.0775,151.0625,156.1875,155.7825,154.3775,151.0475) just to name a few.
Could you throw a few of those in there and see if it rounds them off or accepts them direct? Thanks!

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.