Pro-162 now on Radio Shack web site $199.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerri

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3132685&cp=2032052.2032072&parentPage=family

There has been much talk (from what I have read) as to when this thing is coming out or if it is even real. Well, Radio Shack has a link to purchase on their site (although it is listed as out of stock).

Follow the entire conversation.
With trunked radio systems, government entities such as police or fire departments use one of many possible frequencies with each individual transmission. That makes it virtually impossible to follow an enitre converation using an ordinary scanner. This scanner, on the other hand, features triple-trunking technology that automatically hops along with the different frequencies as they change. So, if your city or town us using a compatible Motorola, GE/Ericcson (EDACS) or LTR analog trunked system, you won't miss a thing.

* Stores up to 1,000 frequencies that can be categorized into 20 separate memory banks
* Listen to police, fire, ambulance, Ham, aircraft, racing and other communications wherever you go
* Skywarm function provides storm reports by trained in-the-field spotters in your area
* NOAA SAME Weather Alert notifies you of severe weather in your specific county
* Signal Stalker I: lock on nearby transmissions without programming or even knowing frequencies
* Preprogrammed with 278 popular frequencies nationwide
* Alphanumeric display enables you to program a name or service to correspond with a frequency
* Covers the new 700MHz frequency

jerk

scannersnstuff

although i really don't care anymore because i waited so long for this thing to come out that i bought something else.it look's like they changed at least one spec.it was supposed to have 40 bank's of 50 channel's,which i found appealing.i bet when the base version,the pro-160 come's out,it follow's the same bank configuration.they will probably bring that out when they sell the remaining stock of defective pro-2055's.

CStarr59

I'll be purchasing one of these when they finally do arrive in the stores. RS seems very slow to marketing on this madel. Very possible they are trying to clear out some older scanner stock to make way for this new model. I almost bought a Pro-528 last month, I'm glad I waited.

CStarr59

Called my local RS and gave the part# 20-162 and they looked it up on their computer. It shows not available at warehouse and none coming into store inventory. I was told to wait until the end of the month. All I really wanted was more information.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Likewise... I waited and waited and waited. Finally I gave up and bought an Icom R5.

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
It's about time!

Well, I am glad that I waited, but to be honest, I never thought it was going to come....

SCPD

QRT
Follow the entire conversation.
With trunked radio systems, government entities such as police or fire departments use one of many possible frequencies with each individual transmission. That makes it virtually impossible to follow an enitre converation using an ordinary scanner. This scanner, on the other hand, features triple-trunking technology that automatically hops along with the different frequencies as they change. So, if your city or town us using a compatible Motorola, GE/Ericcson (EDACS) or LTR analog trunked system, you won't miss a thing.

I love it, the Last sentence of this statement "you wont miss a thing" sure, you wont as long as you have never heard of EDACS wide, 9600 Baud Networked trunking. otherwide, your missing everything.

Yeah, look's like a 528 jacked up a bit with High 700Mhz. coverage. too bad too as many business 700 systems are using 740Mhz. it says it decodes DCS but the "Brief" description lacks in saying if it ALSO displays said DCS.

Be nice to see radio shack grow up one day and put a class act Analog or Digital scanner on the market.

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
Statevillian said:
I picked up the GRE300 instead and it is literally the same and has a GRE label instead of Radio Shack...looks sweeter too.

Hi State,

You are confusing the Pro-162 with the Pro-163. The 163 is the same as the PSR-300 in most ways, but the Pro-162 is a uniden made scanner for Radio Shack. As far as I know, there is no other similar type radio on the market with it's features. This radio should have a few new features according to the FCC manual. Some kind of "bandscope" function, close-call DND, etc... The only thing that I think it won't do which I wish it would is AM mode on the 138-144 MHz band.

rchalupajr

kinekep said:
Hi State,

You are confusing the Pro-162 with the Pro-163. The 163 is the same as the PSR-300 in most ways, but the Pro-162 is a uniden made scanner for Radio Shack. As far as I know, there is no other similar type radio on the market with it's features. This radio should have a few new features according to the FCC manual. Some kind of "bandscope" function, close-call DND, etc... The only thing that I think it won't do which I wish it would is AM mode on the 138-144 MHz band.

The Pro 163 is similar to the Psr 400, It's a base/mobile. The Pro 164 is the handheld version similar to the Psr 300.

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
rchalupajr said:
The Pro 163 is similar to the Psr 400, It's a base/mobile. The Pro 164 is the handheld version similar to the Psr 300.

Yep, that's right... thanks. Got my base/HH models confused again...

n2mdk

stevolene said:
would this new pro 162 be comparable then with the uniden bct15?

No the 162 is a handheld, and uses conventional banks sub banks/scanlists memory scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.