Pro-163 Firmware upgrade error, Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Here is my issue: I've downloaded the 1.07 Firmware update and have attempted to run it but every time I get an error stating "Unable to communicate with scanner". I have verified the Com port, tried it with Win97 software and it works and made sure to hold the PGM button as I turn the scanner on. I do not understand what the problem is. An internet search and search on here turned up nothing. I even tried it on another computer and the same issue. Help!!! Thank you in advance.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The first thing you should do is determine the firmware version you already have, and the boot code version. Turn OFF the scanner. Press and hold the PGM key and power the scanner ON. What does it say?

If you are already at v1.06 and not going to monitor EDACS systems, I wouldn't worry about an upgrade. Either way, there are separate instructions for the firmware update depending on the BOOT version your scanner is using. Good luck.

Boot Version

Yes, I checked and confirmed that I am using the correct boot version file. My scanner has version v1.01 and I do monitor EDACS in my area. Still no good on the install. I keep receiving the "Unable to communicate with scanner" error. I know the USB port and USB cord work as I can use the Win97 software to communicate and program the scanner. This update is just kicking my a@@. Would I have any luck contacting Radio Shack or would that just be a waste of my time?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Are you trying to use

20-163_164_v107_BOOT100.EXE (for use with 20-163 and 20-164 models with Boot Version 1.00)
or
20-163_164_v107_BOOT101.EXE (for use with 20-163 and 20-164 models with Boot Version 1.01)

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Was able to test with a scanner with boot version F1.01. The only way I could get the message "Unable to communicate with scanner" was with the scanner in the "CLONE" mode. After pluging the cable into the scanner, make sure it did not switch to the "CLONE" mode but stays in the "WAIT FOR RC/IF" screen.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-163 f/w update

Was able to test with a scanner with boot version F1.01. The only way I could get the message "Unable to communicate with scanner" was with the scanner in the "CLONE" mode. After pluging the cable into the scanner, make sure it did not switch to the "CLONE" mode but stays in the "WAIT FOR RC/IF" screen.
This suggests that the OP is not doing the following before trying to update the firmware. Power the scanner OFF. Press and HOLD the PGM key while powering on the scanner. After it comes up with version information, plug the cable in to the PC/IF port. Now try to initiate the update.

Well it has been awhile since I had this issue but I decided to once again have a go at it. I now have two scanners to update and get the same ""Unable to communicate with scanner" error on both scanners while attempting to update the firmware. The Pro-163 has Boot F1.01 and the Pro-164 has Boot F1.00. I am using the correct RS USB cord, I have to correct updated file for each scanner, I can communicate with both scanners via Win97 and yes, I hold the PGM button down while powering on and the scanners are in "Wait for RC/IF". When the scanner is in the Clone mode I get a completely different message which is ""No data from Scanner". I am following the directions to the T yet I keep getting this error on not one, but two scanners now. The only ideal I can come up with is perhaps the USB cord? I have even tried to install from a second computer. Help?

DonS

Did your RS USB cable come with a little "adapter" cable? If so, are you using it? (You must not use it with the PRO-164/163, or any other GRE-made scanner).

I know my way around computers and confirmed that the com port is correct. I tried this on two computers. Don, I got so desperate that I tried it with the adapter just to say I did it but no, I do not have the adapter plugged in. I find it strange no one else has experienced this. More and more I lean towards a faulty USB cord. It lights up and works with the Win97 to program but this update has caused me to loose some hair and I don't have much left :)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
1) So you are able to download from and program the scanner using WIN97?

2) You are using the correct version of firmware update software as it relates to the boot version of your scanner?

If the above are correct, exactly what happens when you attempt the update?

Eng74

Dumb question is it working when you do the test? You have to do the test before it will upload the new version of the firmware.

@ gmclam: 1. Yes, I can program the scanners with no problems. 2. Yes, I am using the correct Firmware update for each of the scanners.
@Eng74: I click the test button and the USB cord will light up for a second then I get this message, "Unable to communicate with scanner". Doesn't matter with scanner I am attempting to program. .

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
@ gmclam: 1. Yes, I can program the scanners with no problems. 2. Yes, I am using the correct Firmware update for each of the scanners.
Ok, so you can send data TO the scanner. Can you read data FROM the scanner? It sounds like the update utility is sending a message asking the scanner if it is there and then waits for a reply. Since there's no reply, nothing further happens.

@gmclam: Yes, I can send and receive data from either scanner (Pro-163 and Pro-164) using this USB cord and the Win97 software. I agree with the waiting for reply comment. I watch the USB cord as I conduct the test and first the RXD (Green) lights up several times then the TXD (Red) only a couple times and I get my error, "Unable to communicate with scanner".
@Eng74: I followed your advice and updated my driver and downloaded the Firmware update again and am still experiencing the same error. I even tried turning off my firewall and running the update but got the error still.

I am going to see if RS has another USB cord that I can try... at least that will eliminate the USB cord if the problem persist. I think I am the only one in the world that is experiencing this. I wish to thank everyone that has offered advice on my situation.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
@gmclam: Yes, I can send and receive data from either scanner (Pro-163 and Pro-164) using this USB cord and the Win97 software. I agree with the waiting for reply comment. I watch the USB cord as I conduct the test and first the RXD (Green) lights up several times then the TXD (Red) only a couple times and I get my error, "Unable to communicate with scanner".
Well then I revise my comment about what is going on. From what you write above, the software sends out something and then you are getting a response from the scanner. From that it seems like the software does not like what the scanner is saying.

The PSR-300/400 has (at least) two different boot loader versions out there, and each requires a different program to update the firmware. I am not sure if that is the case with the PRO-163/164, have you checked? And if so, have you tried to use the "wrong" version? What I mean is try to update with each version? And if so, what kind of error message do you get when using the other version?

Status
Not open for further replies.