Pro-164 Antenna Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CStarr59

I purchased a diamond 77 antenna for my Pro-164 which gives great reception. But I keep getting a pinging noise every few seconds, almost like a feed back. I have the attenuator set on global and I have other antennas that work good and don't give this noise. Can anyone help with this problem?

n2mdk

Sounding like it's picking up something like paging signal most likely intermod causing. You are most likely just getting to much signal with the Diamond. The cure is simple, use another antenna for that band.

xpawel15x

Sounds like the antenna is overloading your scanner. It could also be interference of some sort. Try turning off all electronics in the area, see if it helps.

CStarr59

Well I'll have to use another antenna because electronics are all around my home. The RS 800 mhz antenna works quite well on the pro-164. I have a pro-82 that the diamond works perfectly on, it is one great scanner with that setup. Thanks for all the help, I do appreciate it!

N1BHH

Antennas don't overload scanners. External signals would do it, such as a paging transmitter or even NOAA. What it sounds like to me is paging. You may have your priority on and the squelch too close to the threshold and there may be some signal on an adjacent frequency.

lugoffman

CStarr59 said:
I purchased a diamond 77 antenna for my Pro-164 which gives great reception. But I keep getting a pinging noise every few seconds, almost like a feed back. I have the attenuator set on global and I have other antennas that work good and don't give this noise. Can anyone help with this problem?

hey i got a pro 164 and i use the larsen 150/450/800 mhz and i get that also i thought it was just me but it does it when the fire department is talking

CStarr59

Well the scanner if taken outside the house away from all electronics still has feedback problems with the diamond antenna. I have no priority channel set and I think the scanner is just too darn sensative. It does it on all channels so I guess it's goodbye to the diamond. I really liked that antenna as it performs great on all my other scanners and thought it would be super on the Pro-164. The Psr-100 and Pro-82 work great with the diamond and pull in frequencies 50 miles away.

N8IAA

CStarr59 said:
Well the scanner if taken outside the house away from all electronics still has feedback problems with the diamond antenna. I have no priority channel set and I think the scanner is just too darn sensative. It does it on all channels so I guess it's goodbye to the diamond. I really liked that antenna as it performs great on all my other scanners and thought it would be super on the Pro-164. The Psr-100 and Pro-82 work great with the diamond and pull in frequencies 50 miles away.

You neglected to say what the frequencies are that have the noise on them.
Larry

lugoffman

N8IAA said:
You neglected to say what the frequencies are that have the noise on them.
Larry

im getting this also and im using a larsen 150/450/800 mhz mag mount antenna amd it comes over my sheriff station 153.78500 and some others it does it sometimes so bad i got to turn the squelch almost all the way up for it to stop this never happened when i had the pro97 but now i bought this pro164 and it does it whats causing this to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.