PRO-164 ATLANTA P25 CAI Capable

Status
Not open for further replies.

tb98753

Premium Subscriber
I have a RS Pro-164 Boot Version: F1.01 and Appl Version: 1.10

I've downloaded with no further modification the following file from the RadioReference Web Service and uploaded to my scanner.

System Name: Atlanta Public Safety P25
County: Fulton
System Type: Project 25 Phase I
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

The Scanner is incapable of picking up any traffic. i.e. when turned on and trunk scanning nothing is ever heard.

The Frequency coverage for this P25 is 851.xxx - 857.xxxx; and the scanner is capable of scanning these frequencies.

Any one have any ideas what I may be doing wrong. Everything is autoloaded into the scanner with no further modifications.

Help!

-Zac

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

I've downloaded with no further modification the following file from the RadioReference Web Service and uploaded to my scanner.

The Scanner is incapable of picking up any traffic. i.e. when turned on and trunk scanning nothing is ever heard.

The Frequency coverage for this P25 is 851.xxx - 857.xxxx; and the scanner is capable of scanning these frequencies.

Any one have any ideas what I may be doing wrong. Everything is autoloaded into the scanner with no further modifications.

Help!

-Zac
Hi Zac.

Very simple explanation. The system you want to monitor there in the Atlanta area is a digital (P25) system.

The Pro-164 is an analog only scanner. No matter how you program it, it will not work for the system you indicate. You need a digital trunk tracking scanner for it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to have to tell you the bad news but the PRO-164 will not do P25 Digital. You will need a Pro-106, Pro-197, Pro-651, Pro-652, Pro-18 or the unreleased Pro-668 Radio Shack Scanner. Or a GRE PSR-500, GRE PSR-600, Whistler WS1040, Whistler WS1065, Whistler WS1080, or Unreleased Whistler WS1095.
Or Uniden Homepatrol 1 or 2, 996xt, UNIDEN BCD436HP, UNIDEN BCD536HP, UNIDEN396XT there are some older UNIDEN P25 scanners but I would not use one as a new main trunking scanner. Also you may be limited by the part of Atlanta you live in due to High RF levels or intermod but you can post in the GA forum for help in the Atlanta area.

tb98753

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! Heavy Sigh.

Time to put this scanner out to pasture....

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It is still a good scanner for non digital systems that way you can track the P25 system and use the 164 for other scanner uses. I have all the scanners in my tag but 1 working and scanning.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
It will work on the current Fulton County Motorola system, although that system will soon be upgraded to P25 soon.

There's also the MARTA system and Douglas County Fire.

N8IAA

Help!

-Zac
Zac, you'll need to have a scanner that does Phase I and Phase II, P-25. Fulton county will start moving to a Phase II after the first of the new year. Cobb is already moving to Phase II. Atlanta will be staying Phase I for a while.
The 164 will be good for railroad, VHF/UHF aircraft, and not too much else. Even the Georgia State Patrol is moving to conventional P-25 frequencies. DNR has started its move too.
Come visit the GA state forum. Always something there on what's going on in the state.
Larry

jfhtm350

I'll agree, the pro-164 is a great analog scanner. Just doesnt do digital. Ive had one and to be honest I would like to have it back but if it doesnt pick up what your wanting then it does you no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.