PRO-164 SAME Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebadnez

Hi! Just checking to see if anyone has used the SAME Standby mode on the PRO-164 or any scanner and if it works well. I have been anxiously waiting for a watch or warning to set the scanner and wait for the alarm to kick on, but nothing yet!

kcoleman

It Works!!

I don't have the PRO-164, but I have used this feature on other scanners with very good success. Keep in mind that when using this feature you can not scan and be in SAME standby mode at the same time.

Good Luck,
Keith

nebadnez

Ok... I guess I will just have to be patient. Tonight there are some big storms on the way. I was a bit surprised, however, that the TV says we are in a watch, but nothing happened on my PRO-164.

scansalot52

If you're using FIPS codes, I would program in at least two. The first being the county where you live. The second FIPS I would assign is for the county in which the NWS office is located. (Unless they are the same.) I have found that for some reason NWS may transmit the watches only on their home county FIPS and not on my county FIPS. Warnings do come through on the local FIPS# usually. You may get a few more alerts this way, but I think its worth it not to miss the watches.

Also, TV station coverage areas may include more than one NWS coverage area. They may diplay an on screen message and it be for another part of the state issued by another NWS office.

Ditto the reminder that you can't do SAME alerts while scanning. You can do wx prority and get all alerts put out by your local NWS for all counties they cover while scanning.

If you still have questions you may PM me if you'd like.

Last edited:

nebadnez

PRO-164 SAME Standby...

Scansalot,

Thank you very much! Just programmed the nearest NWS office as FIPS code #2. Now well see if I get some weather alerts.

scansalot52

I also see in the manual that you can change the FIPS code from a number to a text display. That way you can tell which code the alert was issued with, thats a nice feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.