Pro-164 Update Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmh2401

I have the Pro-164 Scanner from Radioshack and I am trying to update it, I have the wire and everything but when it comes to the part where it says hold the PGM button and the scanner will enter its "CPU SW UPGRADE" mode I cant get it go get to that part, when i have the cable plugged into the scanner all i see is Clone mode I keep trying doing what it says I hold the PGM button and turn it on but it still goes to clone mode. How do i fix this ????

Evert

Sounds to me like your program key (PGM) is not working. Does your scanner go into program mode when you press the key while the scanner is on and no cable is plugged in?

Are you maybe Phat Phingering it (pressing more than one key) when you press the PGM key while turning the scanner on?

Last edited:

mikey60

I have the Pro-164 Scanner from Radioshack and I am trying to update it, I have the wire and everything but when it comes to the part where it says hold the PGM button and the scanner will enter its "CPU SW UPGRADE" mode I cant get it go get to that part, when i have the cable plugged into the scanner all i see is Clone mode I keep trying doing what it says I hold the PGM button and turn it on but it still goes to clone mode. How do i fix this ????

Try this:

Unplug the cable from the scanner.
Turn the scanner Off.
Press and hold the PGM key while turning the scanner on. This should put you in CPU Update mode.
Plug the cable into the scanner
Load the update program and perform the update.

Mike

Evert

Mike, mine goes into the CPU update mode when the PGM key is held down while the scanner is being turned on no matter whether the cable is plugged in or not.

I can duplicate exacty the symptoms Bmh2401 describes by pressing both the PGM and one of the other keys on either side of the PGM key at the same time while turning on the scanner with the cable plugged in. Pressing these same keys with no cable inserted results in the scanner starting up in the program mode instead of the update mode.

Last edited:

Bmh2401

Sounds to me like your program key (PGM) is not working. Does your scanner go into program mode when you press the key while the scanner is on and no cable is plugged in?

Are you maybe Phat Phingering it (pressing more than one key) when you press the PGM key while turning the scanner on?

Hmmm I tried both of those, but the PGM Key works, and I pushed it with my pinkie to make sure i wasnt Phat Phingering it lol Thanks for tryna help me

Bmh2401

Try this:

Unplug the cable from the scanner.
Turn the scanner Off.
Press and hold the PGM key while turning the scanner on. This should put you in CPU Update mode.
Plug the cable into the scanner
Load the update program and perform the update.

Mike

I Tried this too like 1,000 times maybe my scanner is just special its soo weird

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
There is a BUG in the firmware version 1.06 for the PRO-164.

I have an inquiry to GRE asking them if they gave the newest 1.07 version with the fix to Radio Shack. My current reply status is...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me ask and see what's up here. There should be a RS version for every GRE version that is published.

I'll get back to you.

Jack
GRE Support Team
GRE America, Inc. - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the info regarding the 1.07 GRE firmware.

Latest release of PSR-300/400 "CPU G1.07" Firmware has been released.

CPU Firmware Version - G1.07 - 04/07/09

Corrected a problem with EDACS operation where certain control channel
frequencies would not track properly.

The frequency storing condition which generates the problem:

When the same frequency is stored in the control channel of Motorola System
and in the control channel of EDACS System, the software does not decode
EDACS Control Channel data properly.

Note: CPU Version G1.00-G1.05 does not generate this problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the scanner turned OFF

Press and hold the PGM key while turning the scanner ON

Scanner should read...

Boot Ver:T1.00 - - (or F1.01) You will need the correct boot version of the software to upload
App1 Ver: 1.05
CPU SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF

Evert

There is a BUG in the firmware version 1.06 for the PRO-164.

Exactly what is this bug, and what are the symptoms? I have updated my Pro-164 firmware to 1.06 and have not encountered any problems.

….

With the scanner turned OFF

Press and hold the PGM key while turning the scanner ON

Scanner should read...

??? The main point of this entire thread is that not working for Bmh2401.

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
Exactly what is this bug, and what are the symptoms? I have updated my Pro-164 firmware to 1.06 and have not encountered any problems.

ANSWER

??? The main point of this entire thread is that not working for Bmh2401.

ANSWER

Bmh2401 hasn't given us enough info for resolution. It could be either he doesn't get the screen which reads...

Boot Ver:F1.00 - - (or F1.01) You will need the correct boot version of the software to upload
App1 Ver: 1.05
CPU SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF

If this screen doesn't appear when the function is attempted then there is a problem with the scanner. If it does then I suspect the update attempt does not work because of the wrong COM port selected within the update program or the incorrect Boot Ver software is being attempted.

I notice the mention of CLONE MODE. This occurs if the cable is connected and scanner is turned on and the PGM key is not held down when turning the unit on. Also the PGM key must be released after turn on to get the bottom line "Wait for PC/IF". If the PGM key is hit again then the unit goes into CLONE MODE.

Last edited:

Evert

ANSWER

That describes a problem apparently in the PSR firmware – where have you seen anywhere that the problem exists in the Radio Shack Pro-164 firmware? I know they are both made by the same company but what evidence do you have that the firmware revision levels are, or need to be, the same? The firmware may be specially tailored for Radio Shack and the revision levels and/or bugs would not necessarily track between the two brands.

Last edited:

DonS

That describes a problem apparently in the PSR firmware – where have you seen anywhere that the problem exists in the Radio Shack Pro-164 firmware? I know they are both made by the same company but what evidence do you have that the firmware revision levels are, or need to be, the same? The firmware may be specially tailored for Radio Shack and the revision levels and/or bugs would not necessarily track between the two brands.

They're the same firmware, built with either GRE or RadioShack "branding". A bug that exists in PSR-300 firmware 1.06 also exists in PRO-164 firmware 1.06.

Status
Not open for further replies.