Pro-164 won't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rediron1

I let my scanner run down today and when I plugged it back into the outlet, it wouldn't boot up. All that shows on the screen is: Boot Ver: F1.00. It has run down before and always came back on when I plugged it in. What do I need to do?

Thanks,
Dave

SCPD

QRT
I let my scanner run down today and when I plugged it back into the outlet, it wouldn't boot up. All that shows on the screen is: Boot Ver: F1.00. It has run down before and always came back on when I plugged it in. What do I need to do?

Thanks,
Dave

Make sure the voltage is the correct voltage for the radio. Is it possible the Power Supply has gone bad?. Did you plug in the radio with the Radio in the On position? If you do this with any radio it can lead to a power surge. See page 56 of the manual to reset the radio.
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2000164_PM_EN.pdf

Rediron1

Page 56 says that when I turn the radio back on, “Multi-system Trunking Scanner” should appear and I can then proceed to initializing but that doesn't come up, only the Boot Ver: F1.00 does.

I had turned it off before I plugged it in to the power supply. I wonder, would the scanner do this if I need to update it?

SCPD

QRT
No, The scanner does not know about updates at all. I don't know if there is a key combination for resetting the 164 radio when you turn it on. Maybe someone that does will answer before Monday. The warranty for the radio is one year so if you can't get it to work right you may have to send it in.
I think DonS would know how to reset the radio without it booting up correctly.

Rediron1

I did try and reset the radio but it didn't help. If I hold down the PGM button and turn it on, it all lights up in orange and CPU SW Upgrade Wait for PC/IF comes up. Hopefully it isn't completely dead. I'm going to try and take it to RadioShack this week and see if they can do something with it. It's 2 years old so I'm not covered under the warranty.

SCPD

QRT
I did try and reset the radio but it didn't help. If I hold down the PGM button and turn it on, it all lights up in orange and CPU SW Upgrade Wait for PC/IF comes up. Hopefully it isn't completely dead. I'm going to try and take it to RadioShack this week and see if they can do something with it. It's 2 years old so I'm not covered under the warranty.

Before turning it in at RS if you have the computer cable you could try to upload the CPU firmware to see if that fixes it. It wouldn't hurt to try.
I don't know if RS has a flat fee to fix scanners like Uniden or if the skys the limit, so YMMV.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If I hold down the PGM button and turn it on, it all lights up in orange and CPU SW Upgrade Wait for PC/IF comes up.
It is waiting for its firmware to be updated. I agree with ac7xc, update the firmware and I'll bet that solves the problem (or clearly identifies a major problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.