PRO-18 Database Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5EYR

Premium Subscriber
I update my PRO-18 on a weekly basis. Then, as a secondary back-up I drag the contents of the SD card to my computer's desktop about once a month. I've noticed that the entire database doesn't seem to be all that large. About 40Mbs. Is that possible? It's well short of the capacity of my 4Gb card. Or, am I doing something wrong? I'm not complaining, I just thought it would be quite a bit larger. Hard to imagine, at this rate, how I could approach using the capacity of my card. The 4Gb would seem to be overkill.

DickH

... Hard to imagine, at this rate, how I could approach using the capacity of my card. The 4Gb would seem to be overkill.

A page of text is only 4KB or 5KB, so 40MB is about 10,000 pages of text.

KF5EYR

Premium Subscriber
Didn't realize that. When I first got the 18 it had a 2Gb card. I thought that's way to small. First thing I did was put a 4Gb in it. Apparently, that is overkill. We have come a long way. My first scanner had 8 crystals in it. Had to decide which 8 to buy. Wow! Thanks for the input. Guess I had it right to begin with. Just over bought. :lol:

DickH

... We have come a long way. My first scanner had 8 crystals in it. ...

And we've come a lot longer than that. :)
Long before scanners, I used to re-tune the AM broadcast radios to 1714 KHz to pick up the local PD & FD. After that we got surplus WWII tank radios with 10 push buttons in the 30 to 40MHz range. Next were used Motorola and GE taxi radios we changed to the Public Safety Hi-band.

KF5EYR

Premium Subscriber
And we've come a lot longer than that. :)
Long before scanners, I used to re-tune the AM broadcast radios to 1714 KHz to pick up the local PD & FD. After that we got surplus WWII tank radios with 10 push buttons in the 30 to 40MHz range. Next were used Motorola and GE taxi radios we changed to the Public Safety Hi-band.

You must be up around my age, Dick. I turned 59 just this past Tuesday. My grandfather got a Uniden Electra in 1962. We listened to that for many years. I was just a small kid, but; it started a lifelong fascination with radio. I am much the better person for it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Database size

The only place a larger card makes sense is in the PSR 800 where it also stores recorded information during scanning. In the Pro-18, there is really no reason to have a higher capacity card. Some users feel a larger card slows the boot time, and my experience tends to support that with both scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.