Pro-197 (GRE-600) programming setup help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotguy1050

Hello.

I feel very stupid asking this question. I am not totally ignorant of scanner programming, as I have successfully programmed via software my Pro-96 using Win96 by Starrsoft. When my Mom bought a Pro-197(GRE-600) and asked me to program it, I thought i should be able to do it with no problems at all. She allowed me to bring it home where I could use my existing (fully functional 20-047 USB cable) and laptop. I downloaded Starrsoft's Win500 and went to pulling freqs from here on RR.

But, when I try to upload to the scanner, it times out and nothing happens. I am using the mono-adapter on my cord, as I thought the Radio Shack site said my Pro-96 AND the Pro-197 need it.

Now I read in the GRE-600 manual that for "cloning" a STEREO plug is needed... I have been fearful of damaging something if I plug in my USB cable's stereo plug into the scanner, not knowing if it is safe to do if there is a mismatch or not.

If there is something ELSE I need to do in order to get the scanner to talk back to my otherwise working setup, I sure could use some advice. I am fine with my Pro-96, but I cant get this GRE-600 (Pro-197 really) to talk to my Win500 program at all.

Is there anything I missed?

Thanks Guys. This is probably easy-peasy, but its escaping me at the moment.

Pilotguy1050

rmiller818

For the 197 do NOT use the extra little extension, it should be a stereo jack.

You should also download the newest drivers for the cable.

rmiller818

Go to rad shack and buy a adaptor the same type but the larger size plug. That is what you need. Don't let them try to sell you some 15 dollar adaptor, buy the stereo to stereo 1/8 I think is the size.Take the scanner with you if your not sure of the size jack. Take the cable too.. size it up there. It will work if your cable is the one for the 96.

Rocky

You shouldn't need a different size jack, the one on the programming cable is the correct size for the scanner. You just need to use the stereo jack and not the mono adapter.

pilotguy1050

EXCELLENT! :)

I had figured it was something stupid I was doing. I was sure the RS website said to use the stereo to mono, but now that you say its the way to go, I'll pull the adapter OFF my cable.

But now I have another question raised by my browsing other forums to see if this had been answered already...

Q: Do I also have to press the PGM button on the scanner to get it ready to accept the download? I read that on another forum I think, but of course, its not documented anyplace.

My Mom thanks you a million for the answers.. :)

Wayne (Pilotguy1050).

qlajlu

Silent Key
Also check your computer's Device Manager and make sure your cable is being recognized. I would assume it is since you have used it on your 96, but still check and then open WIN500 and click on Configuration > Cables to see if you are given any choices there. The current version (v1.89) of WIN500 is written to find the correct port, but it doesn't hurt to check.

A way of checking to see if your computer and your scanner are communicating is to go to the "Monitor/Control" tab in WIN500, click "START" and see if you can bring up the scanner display on the monitor depicted in the software.

EDIT TO ADD: By the way, welcome to RR.com. I urge you to return to your User CP (the left side of the second blue bar from the top of any page if you are logged in) and edit your profile to include your location (city and state) as you were requested to do in the material e-mailed to you when you registered. Once you fill in your location it will automatically show in each of your posts. Many of the questions you will have, and their answers, are going to be location specific and without having your location showing you will be asked over and over again what it is. So fill it in now and be done with it.

Last edited:

qlajlu

Silent Key
Q: Do I also have to press the PGM button on the scanner to get it ready to accept the download?

No. I'm not sure where you read that, but it is not right.

Be sure you read all the posts in this thread since some of them were put up before the Mods released your latest post.

SCPD

QRT
The Conversion Cable came inside the package and cannot be used on the 106/197/500/600 nor is it required with 92/2067/93/2053/95/96/2096/97/2055.

and again i used whatever came out the package with my 197 & 96 and 93 & 97, until I stopped using the 93 & 97 when I got the 197

pilotguy1050

This fixed my problem guys... no extension/conversion cable and my Mom's scanner is now talking to my Win500 setup. Thank you...! Now I need to go pay for the Win500.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
This fixed my problem guys... no extension/conversion cable and my Mom's scanner is now talking to my Win500 setup. Thank you...! Now I need to go pay for the Win500.
Yes indeed, Win500 is well worth the cost and will keep your mom's scanner up to date should you be in an area needing rebanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.