PRO-197 mirror characters on display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
This morning my PRO-197 showed every character on the display mirrored. The words still read from left to right, but each character or number was mirrored. At first I thought I was still asleep, rubbed my eyes, but the characters were still mirrored. WEIRD!

I took some photos for posterity to remember this by after I reset it. I cycled power and the display is back to normal. I almost miss it. :-(

Go figure it out.

Attachments

• PRO197_mirror1.jpg
    PRO197_mirror1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 956
  • PRO197_mirror2.jpg
    PRO197_mirror2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,179

GumbyCT

Doesn't look like it was in the Scan Mode. Which mode was it?
The top row looks normal.

Has it been dropped? Or any liquids spilled on it? Any Storms or Power interruptions? Or better yet what is your power source?

DonS

The scanner pictured above in the second image is definitely in "Scan Mode". The first 7 characters of the 2nd line (first line of text) are "Scn0163", indicating that it's stopped on ObjectID 0163 (a TGRP object) in Scan mode.

There have been a few posts about this behavior.

SCPD

QRT
I have had mine only about 2 months & haven't had this problem .. I keep it on all but 8 hrs or so at night

Hoofy

This has been a problem with the 197 since it came out.

Turning it off and back on seems to clear it every time so it's a pain in the butt and not a serious problem.

poppafred

What are you using for power?

I asked this same question last week and it seems that the power supply may be at the core of this. I have seen it twice, others more often, still others never. It may be related to AC line voltage fluctuations too.

Apparently, it isn't serious enough to warrant any fixes from Radio Shack or GRE. As long as it doesn't damage anything, cycle the power and don't worry too much about it.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I use the stock a.c. power adapter that came with the scanner. It is plugged into a 6-month old APC 550 U.P.S.. Yes, it actually works, I've tested it.

I just thought it was a curiosity that others would get a chuckle out of, that's the reason for the pictures.

At first I thought it was the upside-down display option, but it wasn't the entire display that was flipped. That's the fun part about this.

Cheers!

GumbyCT

I use the stock a.c. power adapter that came with the scanner. It is plugged into a 6-month old APC 550 U.P.S.. Yes, it actually works, I've tested it.

I just thought it was a curiosity that others would get a chuckle out of, that's the reason for the pictures.

At first I thought it was the upside-down display option, but it wasn't the entire display that was flipped. That's the fun part about this.

Cheers!
Have you tried measuring the power supply when this happens? Does it appear that the problem resolves itself when the power supply is reset?

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
The problem is cleared by cycling power on the scanner. So if I were to unplug the power pack to do any kind of testing this would accomplish the same 'reset'.

I'm not concerned about it. If it recurs and becomes a problem I'll delve into it further.

wise871

Database Admin
I've had mine for almost a year and I've had that happen to me twice. No biggie, I just cycle power.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone found any similarities like same MFG. date codes or anything like that? I would be curious to know. Just a thought..

Manny

GumbyCT

Good idea -

There is a very small black sticker on the back of my Pro-197 - to the right of the power input jack, just big enuff for the white letters "06A09". I'm guessing this is the "date code" - I know it is the syntax just the words "date code" do not appear anywhere near this sticker or on the back panel for that matter.

Or maybe there is a Rev. letter or P/N on the main board inside?

S/N 008323 but I haven't experienced this problem as of yet either. I just bought in Sep. 2009.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Good idea -

There is a very small black sticker on the back of my Pro-197 - to the right of the power input jack, just big enuff for the white letters "06A09". I'm guessing this is the "date code" - I know it is the syntax just the words "date code" do not appear anywhere near this sticker or on the back panel for that matter.

Or maybe there is a Rev. letter or P/N on the main board inside?

S/N 008323 but I haven't experienced this problem as of yet either. I just bought in Sep. 2009.

If you disregard the letter in the middle, you have your MFG. date, which for your radio is June of this year.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.