PRO 197 new user needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

just2confuzed

I have the pro 197 & it is way to complicated for me! All I want to do is pick up 2 county police, ems, DNR & state police. How do I enter the frequency #, & how do I find & scan just those after I do? Please help, thanks!

RickS31

As you have already determined, there is quite a learning curve to understand all that this great scanner can do. The best way to learn it is read the below three links to get the best understanding of how this stuff works and how to program your radio. In addition, you're definitely going to want to pick up a programming cable from RS and one of the great programming software packages for your computer. Makes the job tons easier. Lot's of help to be had here but best to start at the beginning and get as much as you can first from the Wiki, then ask your questions.

Scanning 101 - The RadioReference Wiki

GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Welcome to RadioReference.

wyomingmedic

There is pretty much nothing more I can add to what Rick recommended, but I may as well come in here and back him up ;)

This is a great little scanner and has WAY MORE potential than most folks will ever need, want or figure out. Because if this, there is a decent learning curve that can only be overcome by reading and studying. I consider myself rather knowledgeable in almost all things radio, but I still find myself asking questions here every day.

What also may help us is to know where you are and what system EXACTLY you are trying to listen to.

Once you get a little learnin' done and we know where you are, i'm sure the fine folks here can get you up and going.

Good luck and welcome,

WM

just2confuzed

More Info

Thanks RickS31 & WyomingMedic for replying.
I did find the article Easier To Read & have been reading up on the the info but still have a lot to learn.
As far as Wyomingmedic said, yes the scanner is way more than I'll ever need for what I'm wanting to do but by reading up on this I knew I needed to get the triple trunking to keep up with the new systems.
I've got a total of 12 frequencies I would like to pick up.but can't seem to find them once I've entered them & that's if I've even done it right! lol I am located in southern IN. if that helps any. I will do some more reading & again thanks to both of you for trying to help me.

just2confuzed

More ? about pro 197

I am located in Switzerland co. IN
We "think" we have the frequencies programed into scanner but after that we don't know how to find & scan only those? Also if we are only wanting about 12 or so do we rally need software & cable?
Any help is much appreciated!

jamesa53

Hello from Terre Haute.

I would highly recommend you get Win500 and the cable. It will make it much easier to visualize how the scanner is programmed. If you dont have this it is like building a house using your fist as a hammer.
Plus alpha-tagging tens of objects is very tedious and time consuming using the scanner keypad. The software basically does it for you if you use the Import feature OR you can manually enter the data into the software. Plus it is a free trial for 30 days and if you like it after that period you can buy it. If your RS has them, the 20-047 cables are down to $10 or $20. They have been discontinued by RS but will work just fine with your 197.

As you probably know, Indiana is mostly digital on Project SAFE-T so you bought the right scanner. The RRDB says Switzerland County is transitioning to SAFE-T which is a Motorola Type II Smartzone OmniLink system. There are very few VHF freqs for your county (according to the DB).

Your CCs for Patriot are 860.71250a 866.88750c .
Your CCs for Vevay are 868.67500a 868.96250c

You have to enter these in a scanlist as a minimum with a Wildcard in the same scanlist. Then the thing will start cooking. Then you can start locking out the talkgroups you are not interested in. The basic RS manual for this scanner leaves a lot to be desired but if you follow it you should at least be able to enter in these CCs with a wildcard. The wildcard lets you pick up all talkgroups which would include ISP, DNR, County Sheriff and others.

However since you are so close to Ohio and Kentucky I would think you would want to listen to those systems also.

Last edited:

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Get the software...

Win500: PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control or

Butel Software

then the cable...

RadioShack® USB-PC Interface Cable for GRE Scanner - RadioShack.com

Next become a paid member of RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Start the software... connect to RR and download the file(s) for the area(s) you want...

Download it into the scanner and you're good to go. It doesn't get much easier! :)

just2confuzed

Hey thanks everyone! After a 45 min. one way drive to RS & purchasing software & cable & buying membership to RR I think we're up & running! lol That sure did make it easier!

RickS31

Super glad you've taken the previous info to heart. Now whole new worlds of scanning are open to you. Onwards and upwards. Still lots 'O' learning but it becomes much easier with the tools you've gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.