Pro-197 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1jop10

this is my firts GRE/Radioshack scanner, and have major problems programming it I am used to bearcat

The thing that stumps me are the wildcard things, I am entering Talk group ID's in place of the wildcard and it wont scan

I want to listening to a APCO25 system the CT state police

I am programming the trunj freqs............when i get to the Talk group and put 3216 in place of the wildcard it does not work

could someone explain step to step instructions of how to replace the wildcard wth a 4 digit numerical ID and have the scanner work right

i cant get it

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Stop pulling your hair out and use software to program your PRO197 scanner. There are others... but I like the WIN500 software. Become a member of RR and use the software to connect to RR and download the program file for your area and then upload it to your radio. The whole process takes just minutes...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
this is my firts GRE/Radioshack scanner, and have major problems programming it I am used to bearcat

The thing that stumps me are the wildcard things, I am entering Talk group ID's in place of the wildcard and it wont scan

I want to listening to a APCO25 system the CT state police

I am programming the trunj freqs............when i get to the Talk group and put 3216 in place of the wildcard it does not work

could someone explain step to step instructions of how to replace the wildcard wth a 4 digit numerical ID and have the scanner work right

i cant get it
If you're programming this system, be sure to program that as Motorola 800/900, not P25 Auto. The talkgroups are P25 (digital), but the system itself is a Motorola Type 2. Also, it appears that just about all of the sites have been rebanded, so you'll need to enter the custom tables for them, if the site(s) you're monitoring fall into that group. (Look for frequencies on the site that are in the 851 to 853Mhz range.)

You have two types of wildcards. The group wildcard in the R/S Pro-197 (or Pro-106) serves basically the same function as using "ID Search" on the Uniden scanners (or an "Open" bank on the older GRE manufactured scanners, such as the Pro-96 or Pro 97). With the system set correctly, and the wildcard entered & not locked out, you'll hear any active talkgroup on the system, with one exception. TGRP objects already entered for that TSYS, but locked out, will be skipped. For talkgroups that you've entered, with text tags, you'll see that tag. For those that are 'found' by the wildcard (they also could be in the database, but you chose not to enter them in the scanner), you'll see the text tag.

The "private" wildcard picks up conversations between two individual users on the system. This is the equivalent of what Uniden refers to as I-call.

K4IHS said:
Stop pulling your hair out and use software to program your PRO197 scanner. There are others... but I like the WIN500 software. Become a member of RR and use the software to connect to RR and download the program file for your area and then upload it to your radio. The whole process takes just minutes...
I'd agree. Even without the premium subscriber membership, programming via software is much easier and quicker.

Are you using software, or programming manually? If, for now, you're programming manually (no software), you may want to check the easier to read manual as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.