Pro 197, Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
A university police department recently went digital. I was told it was a Motorola digital system, perhaps ASTRO. Can I listen to a VHF ASTRO digital system on my Pro 197?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
A university police department recently went digital. I was told it was a Motorola digital system, perhaps ASTRO. Can I listen to a VHF ASTRO digital system on my Pro 197?
Do you have the database link to the system? Or name & location(city & county)?

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Do you have the database link to the system? Or name & location(city & county)?

It's not in the database. It's the Texas A&M University of Kingsville police department. They were on a analog VHF system and I was able to hear them. Now, they've gone digital, using the same frequency(155.65500). All I hear is static-type noise when they key up.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It's not in the database. It's the Texas A&M University of Kingsville police department. They were on a analog VHF system and I was able to hear them. Now, they've gone digital, using the same frequency(155.65500). All I hear is static-type noise when they key up.
Sounds like it's just P25 (digital) on a conventional frequency, much like Tx DPS is. BTW, their license for that frequency does not show the correct code for digital usage, but I've seen others around the state that are ignoring that as well.

Just enter it as a conventional object. Then either set the "squelch mode" to NAC. or enter "Search" in the squelch mode field. Once you determine the correct NAC (the scanner will show it, and give you a chance to save it), then submit the frequency & NAC to the database via the Kleberg County page.

Note that if they are actually using MotoTRBO or NXDN (not licensed for those either), the scanner would not decode either of those modes.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Sounds like it's just P25 (digital) on a conventional frequency, much like Tx DPS is. BTW, their license for that frequency does not show the correct code for digital usage, but I've seen others around the state that are ignoring that as well.

Just enter it as a conventional object. Then either set the "squelch mode" to NAC. or enter "Search" in the squelch mode field. Once you determine the correct NAC (the scanner will show it, and give you a chance to save it), then submit the frequency & NAC to the database via the Kleberg County page.

Note that if they are actually using MotoTRBO or NXDN (not licensed for those either), the scanner would not decode either of those modes.

I've done the things with the "Search" and I still get junk. I didn't think of it that they could be using MotoTRBO or iDEN or stuff like that.

Oh well. I don't really need to hear them tell dispatch that they are going to wash their unit at 2 in the morning anyways.

Thanks for your help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've done the things with the "Search" and I still get junk. I didn't think of it that they could be using MotoTRBO or iDEN or stuff like that.

Oh well. I don't really need to hear them tell dispatch that they are going to wash their unit at 2 in the morning anyways.

Thanks for your help.
If you've tried NAC search, with no success, then either they are using TRBO or another unsupported format, or, the other possibility is that they went digital & encrypted as well. Why, who knows, but It's possible, i suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.