Pro-2045 Backlight Burned Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfan70

Premium Subscriber
Hello all. I scored an RS Pro 2045 at a garage sale for a song. It is in mint condition and works well. The only problem is the back light is burned out. I find as I'm getting older not only to I get up to use the bathroom more during the night I also have a hard time reading small displays. Is this something worth looking into fixing or would it be cost prohibitive? I'd really like to try to get it fixed but if it is too much $$$ I would rather just grab a newer unit for the money. What do you think?

CycleSycho

Hello all. I scored an RS Pro 2045 at a garage sale for a song. It is in mint condition and works well. The only problem is the back light is burned out. I find as I'm getting older not only to I get up to use the bathroom more during the night I also have a hard time reading small displays. Is this something worth looking into fixing or would it be cost prohibitive? I'd really like to try to get it fixed but if it is too much $$$ I would rather just grab a newer unit for the money. What do you think?

;) I think you pretty much answered your own questions in regards to fixing the backlight BUT, tinkerers like us just love a challenge, don't we? Have you tried to 'reset' the display separator pads that communicate with the glass display (for lack of the technical terms)? I can understand not wanting to do more damage, but besides having a portable lamp mounted on the face of the radio (as in the old saying that I slightly modified 'first do no more harm'), you might be able to fix it if it is possible. I seriously doubt a service manual is available in these days of throwaway electronics but if you find one, it'll cost you. So, your first best bet is to find an accessory lamp to 'shine' on its front face. Barring that, you could attempt to fix, or get a quote to send it in. If that is a 'value-add', than that's your answer, right? ;)

CycleSycho

:) I would suggest you test for the POWER to those two lamps B4 you try replacing them. Having both fail at the same time is suspect. Yes, I know we do not know if they both failed at the same time but BOTH are out? Check for the power first, B4 trying to replace them. Buying bulbs before knowing if they are the reason is throwing parts at it blindly. :)

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The link I provided says: PL 901 & 902 are on left and right side of display. Mfg's part number is BPZY0036001 for both. Unfortunately, they are in series, thus if one is out neither will glow.

So the lights behave like an old series string of Christmas lights where one bad bulb brings all the lights down. I would recommend replacing both bulbs. If one is still good it probably doesn't have much life left and the replacement procedure is a bit time consuming. Easier to get them both done in one operation.

CycleSycho

:) As the referenced post indicates, you can test for power at the points indicated. Good to know they are in series, it makes troubleshooting a little easier. I still think it is a good idea to find out if there is a supply problem before you replace parts. This way your closer to knowing your investment will pay off. Parts are available and inexpensive (sans shipping/handling) but knowing parts are necessary is better than not knowing, right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.