Pro 2053 and Win93 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
I have a Radio Shack Pro 2053 it seems every time I want to program it the software Win93 will crash. I have to download a fresh copy from starrsoft site. I even keep the zip file and extract every time after deleting the old. I am trying to figure out what is causing the crash.

Here are the details. I know I may need to click the links.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Win93.exe
Application Version: 0.0.3.1
Application Timestamp: 3e4bf783
Fault Module Name: Win93.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.3.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 3e4bf783
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002e3b9
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've used Win93 under Win 7 a lot without any issues but is has been a while now so a Windows update could have broken something.

You should not need to download the original zip file each time. If you do need to do that, something is corrupting the data stored on your drive.

Have you tried running Win93.exe in any of the Compatibility modes?

If not, right click your win93 icon that you use to start it and then left click on properties. Look for the Compatibility tab at the top of the window.
Try selecting different settings under the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" after you checked the box to its left.
I'd try the Win XP and Win 98 options and see if either will let it run normally.
The other setting on that screen that may help is to check the option to "Run this program as an administrator".

With any luck, something there will work.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply

This is happening on Windows 7 and Windows 10. Windows 10 program just closes no error message. Windows 7 gives the error. The error message is
Win93 Scanner Utility has stopped working.

I just tried compatibility mode Windows XP SP3 still get same error.

When I get my old Windows 98 desktop working I will try again on it. Might just work better on older OS. It was crashing on Windows 10 now it is crashing on Windows 7. Could be a Windows Update.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I wish I had more suggestions but I can't think of much.
You do have a functioning serial adapter installed and assigned a Com port on the computer correct?

I don't recall if any of the old Starrsoft programs needed any of the older .net stuff or not. I'd think any requirements like that would be listed on the starrsoft site though.

How about any AV or Malware software you are running, have you tried making exceptions for win93 or even disabling them long enough to test?
You could always disconnect from the internet while you disable any AV stuff if you are concerned while doing a quick test.

I tried a few things last evening with trying to make my copy not work but it worked perfectly! I'm running Win 7 64 bit here.

Good Luck

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Win93.exe creates a config file - make sure you full access to that folder.

As mentioned on the site, the three DLL files should already exist on your system in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. See if these are present. You shouldn't have to overwrite the latest versions.
MFC42.DLL
MSVCP60.DLL
MSVCRT.DLL

Make sure C:\Windows\System32 is in your Path.

Copy the three DLL files above to the Win93 folder.

Otherwise, kruser covered it pretty well.

================
From the Win93 site:
Download latest version (this is a ZIP file - you'll need WinZip, PowerArchiver, or an equivalent decompression utility in order to extract files)

The link above is the program only - it doesn't include a couple of system files that are required to run it. If you're using a recent version of any Microsoft product, then you should already have these files. If Win93 complains that it can't find a file or component necessary to run (or something like that), you can get the required files in this ZIP file. Merely extract the DLLs into the same directory/folder where you put the Win93.exe program.
================

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for replying. This seems to happen on both computers. One with Windows 10 and one with Windows 7. And I know it's crazy but the Windows 7 I tried without any antivirus still does the same. I will check the dll files. This is a USB connection with this cable. I did install the FTDI drivers. Starrsoft site seems to be down I hope it is not down for good I was afraid of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.