Pro-2096 & APCO25 ( IL. StarCom) Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

illinois_skywarn_spotter

Feed Provider
Evening,

I have a Pro-2096 and for the past few Months I have been trying to program STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois P25 system in to this radio. No matter how I program it it does not RX that system. I've tried different antennas, different locations outside. I even had a friend come here TODAY with his portable scanner hooked it to my antenna and was RXing the Starcom system with no problems. So I know its not the antenna. I am using the ARC96 software to program the radio. All the other Digital Systems in my area is RXing just fine. Can someone PLEASE tell me what I AM doing wrong??? If needed I have screenshots of the program I can upload so you can see what I'm doing. The sites i'm trying ro RX are ( Clark Co. ) Marshall, Martinsville & (Edgar Co.) Paris. Any and all help appreciated.

THX
Donnie
The guy thats about to pull his hair out :confused:.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
By hand just program the "bank" to "MOT", install the freqys and put bank on "+" so it receives all TGs, if you hear the "CC" freqy your gonna hear it all, that's how mine works here in Chicago area.....No software.....

VASCAR2

I also sent you an e-mail offering my assistance. In my e-mail I ask if you know how old your scanner is. In 2008-2009 the 800 MHz spectrum was rebanded. If your scanner was purchased prior to 2009 you'll probably have to use the adjusted band plan. If you look at the radio shack scanner section forum here on Radio Reference.com you'll see a sticky at the top of the RS forum. Look in the sticky for Programming RS Pro 2096/96 scanners. The information is there on how to set up the scanner to follow the rebanded trunked frequencies.

I'm very familiar with Terre Haute area as I have family there and I live in SE Illinois so if your still having problems I feel sure I can help you get your Pro 2096 programmed for StarCom.

Last edited:

VASCAR2

Another thing to consider if your trying to listen to StarCom 21 from the Terre Haute vicinity is that SC 21 uses a lot of directional antennas near it's borders with other states. The Marshall site is Southeast of Marshall and the directional antenna faces straight west. You might have better luck hearing the Eaton site which is in Crawford Co. This Eaton site is higher and uses Omni directional antennas.

3 (3) 026 (1A) Eaton Crawford 851.81250 852.33750c 853.38750a 853.96250

The SC 21 system sites do not have near the coverage as the Indiana Safe-T sites. I can hear two SC 21 sites from my home which is 3 miles west of the Wabash River but I can hear Five Safe-T sites in Indiana.

I'm not sure if your friends handheld picked up the control channels from the SC 21 system or not but it's something else to consider.

illinois_skywarn_spotter

Feed Provider
I don't know how old it is because I bought it used from a friend. Are there away to find out? He had to have RXed the control channels because we was hearing Dist 10 off the Paris tower heard Dist 12 and Clark Co. Sheriff office off of the Marshall tower. So signal is getting here across the stateline. Anyways I'll go look again on the radio shack scanner section forum for that info. Thx

VASCAR2

Good to hear your getting enough signal,so basically you have a programming issue. I suggest you try to enter SC 21 from the Keypad as Ron suggested. If you go to the Radio Shack forum and look at the sticky on programming the RS Pro 2096you can compare the band plan from your scanner as to the band plan shown in that post. If they are different that maybe your problem. If your unsure how to find the band plan when you create the SC 21 system you might be able to contact Radio Shack to find out when your scanner was manufactured by the serial number.

Here is a link to a PDF copy of the operating/owners manual that I use when programming RS Pro 2096 scanners.

http://support.radioshack.com/manuals/ome20-496.pdf

If you still have trouble let us know and I feel sure someone on this forum can sort out how to get it programmed.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
When back in 2009 when Starcom was rebanded they dropped the freqys 15 megs, the radio in question does not need new "Tables" to program Starcom, it figures the new info thru the CC,s on its own.....

VASCAR2

Thanks for the info Ron, I don't own a Pro 2096 but have programmed two or three since the rebanding but the 2096's I programmed were bought new. That was the only thing I could think of which might cause a problem if the scanner was set in the open mode.

Sorry I brought the rebanding up I just know it was an issue on a friends BCD996 T and my BCD996XT which were purchased prior to rebanding.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Regarding Starcom21 and Pro96/2096

Regarding the Pro96/2096. My Pro96 was unable to clearly get any Starcom21 towers until I made sure the final firmware upgrade was uploaded to the scanner. U1.4 was the final one. U1.3 didn't quite do it. Now it Works *as well as it can. I use it sometimes when traveling down to Peoria area from Chicago-land, but my WS1080 is so much better on that system :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.