• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

PRO-2096 junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some special trick I dont know about to get this Radio Shack 2096, to actually get ALL of the traffic on the new digital system? I have mine set up scanning three of the sites. Doniphan, Atchison, and Nemaha. All three towers have excellent signal strength. The scanner is scanning approx. 10 talkgroups and a couple of conventional channels. It is CONSTANTLY missing replies of radio traffic. I have tried changing the delay times as well as turning the delay status on each individual channel on and off. No matter which way it's set it wont pick up alot of the replies. Is this a softwar problem or is it just too much for this 500 dollar scanner to scan three indiviual towers with six sets of channels and 10 talkgroups? If anyone has any tips let me know. If i knock it down to just one or two sites I know Ill miss some traffic because unless somebody has a radio turned on and its on that specific talkgroup on that specific tower you wont hear ANY traffic. Thanks for any advice.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Not knowing your setup exactly - the problem is that it takes 2 seconds or so to monitor a site's control channel for activity. So while someone is replying on tower 3, your radio is taking 4 seconds to scan tower 1 and tower 2. Missed it.

There's no way around that (given the law of physics as it exists today :) )

Make sure you have all the control channels in AS ONE SYSTEM. Set the multisite. If you've done that and are still having probems, you'll either need another scanner or trim down your control channel base.

Yes, they are junk, but.......

As a long suffering owner of a Pro2096 I can say that. What I've found is if you program the controls in two adjacent banks, in inverse order of frequency ,it seems to help catch more of the replies. I am not completely sure why,but it works for me. I tend to keep the digital stuff seperate from the conventional frequencies, and lock out whatever channel slots are left after inputting the controls. Hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.