Pro-2096 & Pro-96 discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixwagen

The Pro-96 is being replaced by the Pro-106, which is more or less a GRE PSR-500.

The Pro-2096 will be replaced by the Pro-197(?), a PSR-600 clone.

jleverin

I have noticed quite a few used Pro 96s up on ebay lately for sale, many are under $400. Figures , I waited and waited for them to drop in price, finally found a good one for about $350 and bought it. Then they're suddenly EVERYWHERE! Well, I may eventually buy a Uniden or PSR scanner but I just don't see the need anytime soon. RS isn't perfect, but the 96 and 97 scanners I have now are picking up everything around here pretty well, and the accessories are interchangeble between scanners like the battery holders and 9v converter and the telescopic antenna. It will be interesting to see what the next scanner they come out with is like. They are obviously trying to attract people that would normally buy a GRE scanner. My next scanner purchase may be a base station scanner and a better antenna, I don't have a HOA here so there's nothing stopping me from putting up a antenna to get better reception. There are a couple of old ham guys on either side of me and they BOTH have these humongous antennas......a scanner antenna shouldn't bother anyone next to those.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"It will be interesting to see what the next scanner they come out with is like. They are obviously trying to attract people that would normally buy a GRE scanner."

Mentioned just inches above... They are putting their name on the GRE scanners.

n0lqt

Mentioned just inches above... They are putting their name on the GRE scanners.

Actually, GRE was custom manfacturing them for RS for years. Just recently GRE decided to go into the retail business in the U.S. Even now, the GRE scanners are subtly different from the Radio Shack models. Radio Shack did the same thing with some Uniden scanners. Especially some of the "Race Scanners."

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
My point is - they aren't "trying to attract people that would buy GRE" because it is a GRE they are selling.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Hope the pro106 offers similar bells and whistles like the gre line. I am sure getting used to scanlists and intuitive memory objects. the improvement I want is in extended battery life and would like them to include a protective case since we keep plopping down 500.00 plus for these things!!!!!!!!!!!

trixwagen

Well, not exactly the same.

The Radio Shack has its infamous screen-on-top, buttons-in-the-middle, speaker-on-the-bottom configuration.

The GRE has the speaker-on-top, screen-in-the-middle, buttons-on-the-bottom setup.

GRE does most firmware updates and releases them sooner.

Maybe this discussion has been beaten into the ground, but they are things to consider.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
God, Im losing my mind!

I want to get a pro-96. But the 3 day only sale of the pro-433 which is $50 off is also tempting me....What do I do, decisions, decisions.........AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Manny

trixwagen

Pro-433 has no alpha tags. I'd sooner get a Pro-163, which is also on sale.

Actually, neither. Still trying to save for a Pro-106.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
I second hosers opinion. At least the pro96 has digital capabilities to expand your listening since there is alot od p25 in the constitution state!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.