Pro-651: pro 651 receiving issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmb54

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro 651 I have posted before reference to the unit scanning but not receiving signals.
I took the Battery pack out and plugged the power supply in and the unit began to receive signals,.
could the batteries be defective not allowing the scanner to properly work

tvengr

Well Known Member
Always check the batteries first. Alkaline batteries are about 1.5v DC each. Rechargeables are about 1.2v DC each. I am not familiar with the power circuit in that particular scanner. It may be that plugging in an external power supply disconnects the batteries from the scanner. Try spraying the connector with contact cleaner and inserting and removing the power plug a number of times. It may require a contact closure on that connector to connect the batteries to the scanner when the external supply plug is removed.

DJ11DLN

If it's running apparently normally on batteries, i.e. the display lights up, shows scanning, but you get no traffic, yet it works on external power, that would be downright strange. Mine got broke (knocked off the desk by grandchild) and external power no longer works at all but it runs fine on cheap NMH rechargeable batteries (from Harbor Freight no less) right down to where low voltage shuts it off.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Which battery holder are you using? If you put rechargeable batteries in the black holder used for alkaline batteries, they will not charge. Make sure that you place rechargeables in the yellow holder.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Which battery holder are you using? If you put rechargeable batteries in the black holder used for alkaline batteries, they will not charge. Make sure that you place rechargeables in the yellow holder.
The scanner will still power up, if the batteries are good.

Sent using Tapatalk

tvengr

Well Known Member
Rechargeable and alkaline batteries will work in either holder. If rechargeable batteries are in the black holder, they will not charge and may be in a discharged condition. If you place alkalines in the yellow holder, bad things can happen when you try to charge alkaline batteries. The black holder lacks a charging contact for that reason. You could try alkalines in the black holder to see if the yellow holder is defective.

DJ11DLN

The OP said it was "scanning but not receiving anything" on battery. We have to presume it was actually turning on and functioning, I would hope that the OP would not mistake a blank display (i.e. no power to the scanner) for "not receiving."

I also observe that he hasn't posted back since putting this up.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The OP said it was "scanning but not receiving anything" on battery. We have to presume it was actually turning on and functioning, I would hope that the OP would not mistake a blank display (i.e. no power to the scanner) for "not receiving."

I also observe that he hasn't posted back since putting this up.
I see he posted about no signal, in January. I wonder if he has a bad solder connection on the BNC.

Sent using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

I see he posted about no signal, in January. I wonder if he has a bad solder connection on the BNC.

Sent using Tapatalk
But he says that it works on external power; would not a bad/broken BNC connection work/not work the same both ways? I suppose it's possible that plugging in the adapter somehow applies just the right amount of stress on the chassis to cause it to make contact...but that's reaching for it.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
But he says that it works on external power; would not a bad/broken BNC connection work/not work the same both ways? I suppose it's possible that plugging in the adapter somehow applies just the right amount of stress on the chassis to cause it to make contact...but that's reaching for it.
I was thinking more of overall positioning, moreso than plugging the power connector in.

Sent using Tapatalk

wtp

take the scanner outside and walk around a bit.
the charger wire could be adding just enough of a ground to help receive a signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.