Pro-668 and Harris County, TX P25 reception ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha168

I am new to this forum and radio coms in general, so please bear with me. I have had this RadioShack PRO-668 for a couple of months, and when I purchased this thing right out of the box I gave it my zip code and was receiving all of the trunking frequencies under the sun. I am also using the Diamond antenna as well.

For about a week now, out of the blue this scanner is picking up nothing. It just sits in a perpetual scanning loop and the only thing that pops in is a conventional DPS channel and Tomball PD if I'm lucky.

I made no changes to the settings, it just stopped receiving. So, I brought up the software and updated everything...still nothing. I then tried to restore the default settings...nothing. I even tried to just scan ONE single talkgroup for HCSO in my district...still nothing. I went driving around with this thing scanning and yes...NOTHING.

My question is...whether this thing is just a POS that decided to take a dump, or is there some kind of new encryption issue that I am unaware of.

Again, I know virtually nothing about what is going on with this technology so I'm trying to understand the "science" behind the problem.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
It's possible that something went bad with the radio and/or the antenna/antenna connector.

By default, if you were dealing with encryption, you'd hear indications of that.

Do you receive anything when you press the WEATHER button?

Another possibility - check which service types are enabled. See:
Easier to Read Pro-668/PSR800 Digital Scanner and EZ-Scan/iScan Software Manual types

Finally, I see some changes were made to a few sites in the Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 system including for the "Harris County East Simulcast" site:
Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

That might be a factor also.

Folks in the Texas forum may be more able to help....but I'm still willing to try!

Alpha168

Hey thanks, yes the weather channel comes in perfectly fine, and it only seems to be trunked channels that I am having problems with. I intermittently receive some fire department transmissions but that's about it. The trunked stuff comes in scratchy and chopped if at all, and the "T" indicator flickers. It must just be a tuning issue so I'll keep messing around. It was just strange that everything was coming in from all directions, and then suddenly nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.