Pro 668 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaijudo

Hi, I've had 2 analog scanners ( BC60XLT-1 and BC125) before I bought the Pro 668 this year. I thought I had a good basic understand on how to program a scanner manually, but the Pro 668 uses terminology that just doesn't make sense to me. I know how to put in my zip code and get all the frequencies around me, but I want to go beyond that to really get my money's worth from this scanner. So I'm reaching out to you all in the community who may know more or have one of this scanners. For starters, where do I go to put in frequencies manually. I know I can cause I've done it by mistake a few times, I just can't find a straight forward way to get there when I use the menu system in the scanner lol

I know there is an online easy manual for it and it helped me ouit a god bit, but I learn better from step by step directions.

wbswetnam

To make the Pro-668 really shine, you need to learn how to make scan lists. This way the radio scans only what you want it to and not a whole lot of extraneous frequencies which may or may not be active. You do this through the iScan software.

wbswetnam

Now that I have sold my Pro-668 and I have bought the Whistler TRX-1, just watch... probably next week it will be announced that the DMR upgrade will be made available for the Pro-668. That would be just my kind of luck.

kibler

Feed Provider
For starters, where do I go to put in frequencies manually. I know I can cause I've done it by mistake a few times, I just can't find a straight forward way to get there when I use the menu system in the scanner lol

I know there is an online easy manual for it and it helped me ouit a god bit, but I learn better from step by step directions.
Hey guys! The OP is asking how to add a frequency manually by using the Menu in the Scanner! He already stated he knows about the online easy manual!

I have tried to find this on my PRO-668 but I can't find it either??? Does anyone else know where to find this inside the scanner's Menu? I am still looking for it, but Can't seem to see it! Thanks

Please don't tell me to read the "Easier to Read Pro-668/PSR800 Digital Scanner and EZ-Scan/iScan Software Manual"....."I like to be spoon fed ever once in a while" Ha?

Last edited:
D

darunimal

"Conventional Object" at that, look in the Easier to Read Manual Section "Program/Edit Frequencies and Talkgroup IDs"

kibler

Feed Provider
Hi darunimal...I read this information in the easy manual and I can Edit any channel that is already there! I was just trying to add any Frequency to a or any scan list from scratch? I will keep reading! Thanks

kibler

Feed Provider
darunimal.....I still don't see "add an object" using the keypad and Menu??? I know how to do all this stuff using the i-scan software no problem! I see how to delete and edit anything that is already in there??..You just don't have all the features that the software has! Thanks

kibler

Feed Provider
buddrousa....I believe you must be correct? That's crazy! You should be able to add any new Frequency into any scan list using the keypad, without having to load from the SD card alone! Thanks

CycleSycho

Hey guys! The OP is asking how to add a frequency manually by using the Menu in the Scanner! He already stated he knows about the online easy manual!

I have tried to find this on my PRO-668 but I can't find it either??? Does anyone else know where to find this inside the scanner's Menu? I am still looking for it, but Can't seem to see it! Thanks

Please don't tell me to read the "Easier to Read Pro-668/PSR800 Digital Scanner and EZ-Scan/iScan Software Manual"....."I like to be spoon fed ever once in a while" Ha?

:wink: Yeah, always seems the comprehension step is missed in a few posts, huh? Chalk it up to 'human nature'?... Been there, always finding that! LMAO ;)

Nasby

The 668 does not have a keypad to manually enter a frequency.

Programming of a "new" frequency must be done via the software or via import through the SD card.

You can't just enter a random frequency through the scanner's front control keys.

It must be on the SD card and imported or via the EZ scan software where a new object is created.

Blackswan73

The 1080 doesn't have a keypad either, but you can enter a frequency manually with the 1080. However, that feature was left off the 668.

Speedmanmusic

Hi, I've had 2 analog scanners ( BC60XLT-1 and BC125) before I bought the Pro 668 this year. I thought I had a good basic understand on how to program a scanner manually, but the Pro 668 uses terminology that just doesn't make sense to me. I know how to put in my zip code and get all the frequencies around me, but I want to go beyond that to really get my money's worth from this scanner. So I'm reaching out to you all in the community who may know more or have one of this scanners. For starters, where do I go to put in frequencies manually. I know I can cause I've done it by mistake a few times, I just can't find a straight forward way to get there when I use the menu system in the scanner lol

Hi, you have to have the pro 668 scanner software in order to manually enter freqs. It's very simple and straight forward "mostly" . Also keep in mind that you will want to do most of your 668's adjustment via the software, just an offered opinion. Have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

Kaijudo

Yep, I used that and it helped me out some. I just needed stuff spelled out for me more. Like most of the terms used for the scanner, I have no idea what they mean lol. I'm just learning about DMR right now. Digital scanner is like alien language to me right now lol

To make the Pro-668 really shine, you need to learn how to make scan lists. This way the radio scans only what you want it to and not a whole lot of extraneous frequencies which may or may not be active. You do this through the iScan software.
Yeah I think I found what you're talking about. It just seems like I was able to do it with out using the software. I think I may have found the way to edit a frequency already programed inside of the scanner and miss took that as manually programing y own frequency.

Now that I have sold my Pro-668 and I have bought the Whistler TRX-1, just watch... probably next week it will be announced that the DMR upgrade will be made available for the Pro-668. That would be just my kind of luck.
I hope they do add DMR, it sounds cool. Can you or someone explain to me why digital scanning have all of those categories like DMR, TGRP, CONV, TSYS,SITE ect, what do they mean? I think I know what CONV means but that's about it lol..... Also why do some frequencies have a lightning bolt next to them. Also, I looked at the frequencies in my my scanner's library, some frequencies have an "S" symbol where the check box would be, does that mean they're blocked out or something?

Lol

I went to Brows Objects, Menu, Frequency (Make sure you have a Frequency already set before you press menu)

add an Object
Yeah this sounds like what I did. It doesn't feel like the natural way it's suppose to work, but it does lol

"Conventional Object" at that, look in the Easier to Read Manual Section "Program/Edit Frequencies and Talkgroup IDs"
Will do

Hi darunimal...I read this information in the easy manual and I can Edit any channel that is already there! I was just trying to add any Frequency to a or any scan list from scratch? I will keep reading! Thanks
Yeah I want to put one in from scratch too, like I use to with my older scanner. I miss that scanner. I got it back in 1999. The stuff I heard lol

darunimal.....I still don't see "add an object" using the keypad and Menu??? I know how to do all this stuff using the i-scan software no problem! I see how to delete and edit anything that is already in there??..You just don't have all the features that the software has! Thanks
So software is the way to go, huh?

Next question is other then whats listed on the RF website, what other frequencies do we put in there. It seems like it's more like fishing, or is there other places to look up other frequencies to try?

Wow, I feel the need to apologize-------I guess my reading skills have degraded. HOW I missed that last line in the OP, is BEYOND me. I usually read and re-read a post before I say anything. So again , sorry, and welcome to the forum. Mike
Ah don't worry about it. I've over looked many things myself. Sometimes I get on a forum, read the OP, then scroll all the way to the bottom to give my 2 cents with out noticing every other post shares the same 2 cents I do lol

Not sure that option is in the PRO668 I think that showed up in the WS1088 and the WS1098 scanners.
Here is the old thread on this subject.
http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/317587-can-not-program-manually.html
Thanks. Going to give that a read.

buddrousa....I believe you must be correct? That's crazy! You should be able to add any new Frequency into any scan list using the keypad, without having to load from the SD card alone! Thanks
I agree!

The 668 does not have a keypad to manually enter a frequency.

Programming of a "new" frequency must be done via the software or via import through the SD card.

You can't just enter a random frequency through the scanner's front control keys.

It must be on the SD card and imported or via the EZ scan software where a new object is created.
You can change numbers with the arrow keys. You can also put text in it just using those arrow keys.

Hi, you have to have the pro 668 scanner software in order to manually enter freqs. It's very simple and straight forward "mostly" . Also keep in mind that you will want to do most of your 668's adjustment via the software, just an offered opinion. Have fun!

Thanks I will do that

Quick question. Some of the freq's I hear have static in them or they sound garbled. I've used the sq, I've set GA, but none of that makes it sound better. I saw a video on youtube that explained RF has unneeded channels posted to the site and that's the cause of it (I'm listening on the wrong channels). I was wondering what do I need to set to make sure I'm scanning the right channel for a freq. I apologize if that made no sense lol.

I don't know if we're allowed to post youtube videos here so I won't, but if we can, I can post it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedmanmusic

Chances are that the garbled sounds are coming from encrypted channels, nothing that I know of can be done abut this. If it's pro voice try increasing or decreasing the dsp levels. Lower =slower higer=faster decoding rates. Have fun!

Kaijudo

Chances are that the garbled sounds are coming from encrypted channels, nothing that I know of can be done abut this. If it's pro voice try increasing or decreasing the dsp levels. Lower =slower higer=faster decoding rates. Have fun!

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to wait till I hear a static frequency and try it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.