Pro 668 Terrible/Spotty Reception?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings All...

I purchased a Pro 668 last year off of Amazon and it appeared to be NIB. I purchased it more or less for the built-in Discriminator tap to use it with Uni-Trunker, DSDPlus, Etc.

The reception of most bands has been 'not good' to say the least. While I can the NWS Transmitter which is about 20-25 some miles away, I can't get a business repeater that is 10 miles away on it (But I can get it in on my BCD346xlt at nearly FQ). I will lock on a nearby NXDN CC and the Pro668 will show like 2-3 bars and no sound, but again the BCD346xlt will be Full Quieting. I can go on and on...

If I didn't get the NWS Transmitter or other items in, I would think there is something wrong with the antenna connection. It almost seems like the attenuate is on full-time, but it isn't. Anyone else having this problem or do I just own a reject one? Any solutions?

Tim

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Greetings All...

I purchased a Pro 668 last year off of Amazon and it appeared to be NIB. I purchased it more or less for the built-in Discriminator tap to use it with Uni-Trunker, DSDPlus, Etc.

The reception of most bands has been 'not good' to say the least. While I can the NWS Transmitter which is about 20-25 some miles away, I can't get a business repeater that is 10 miles away on it (But I can get it in on my BCD346xlt at nearly FQ). I will lock on a nearby NXDN CC and the Pro668 will show like 2-3 bars and no sound, but again the BCD346xlt will be Full Quieting. I can go on and on...

If I didn't get the NWS Transmitter or other items in, I would think there is something wrong with the antenna connection. It almost seems like the attenuate is on full-time, but it isn't. Anyone else having this problem or do I just own a reject one? Any solutions?

Tim

The factory antenna is garbage, I good antenna to try is the radioshack 800mhz. It is a big improvement but not as good as a exterior antenna with a amp if needed.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Greetings All...

can get it in on my BCD346xlt at nearly FQ). I will lock on a nearby NXDN CC and the Pro668 will show like 2-3 bars and no sound, but again the BCD346xlt will be Full Quieting. I can go on and on...
Tim

How close it the nearest FM broadcast transmitter? Within 5 miles should be considered close-and may be farther. The GRE series tend to be very sensitive and de-sensed by particularly by strong FM broadcast stations--and note, if this is the problem, you would probably not hear the FM station audio and not know it was the problem. I do not know your particular environment, but if you have not tried placed and FM notch filter in the antenna circuit you need to try that and see if it makes a difference. A cheap filter will sometimes do (the cheap RS sold (sells?will do if the offending strong stations are about about 80 MHz as those filters do not quite cover the low end of the FM broadcast band)--about $20. Some other sources:
Pico Macom - FM-88 - Rejection Filter, FM Band, 88-108 MHz | Multicom Online Store
(It is the same as Radio Shacks-cheap but sometimes good enough. But you will have to buy adapters as it has TV coax Type-F connectors.)
VHF-FM Broadcast Filters | PAR Electronics | Filters for the commercial 2 way market, MATV, FM broadcast, laboratory, marine industry, amateur radio, scanner and short wave listening enthusiasts
(Much better and BNC on each end)

But you probably will have to shell out more money for adapters (if you buy the cheaper one). Many of us know this and many don't. A cheap filter will usually do--about $20.

Last edited:

Tim

Feed Provider
Well, as far as I know we don't live near a FM Transmitter area. I do live in the outskirts of the big city (Milwaukee). I don't think the FM transmitter is the problem but at this point I am willing to try anything.

Judging by the few responses, it appears like the problem is on my end somehow.

Tim

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I found mine did not catch as much as my old Pro106. Did the unofficial mod to it and now it kicks butt.

scosgt

Keep in mind that the dwell time on trunked radio systems can cause it to miss a lot of transmissions on other items on the scan list.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I agree, try it on one scan list with only a few channels and see how it works. Also squelch setting are impotant,go as high as you can without missing stuff, with the squelch set low it will slow down when it gets the slightest hint of a channel weather there is one there or not.

Tim

Feed Provider
Generally I had only used this radio in 'limit search' mode. I would notice it missing even NexEdge Control Channels that my other radios would pick up with no problem at all. Similar to NMELFI, in the little I have been playing with it since i did the unofficial Mod it appears like the distance reception has somewhat improved. I will get to play with it a little more tomorrow.

Tim

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I found mine did not catch as much as my old Pro106. Did the unofficial mod to it and now it kicks butt.

What unofficial mod would that be? My 668 wishes to kick butt as well. As it is right now, it couldn't punch its way out of a wet paper bag. LOL!!

:)

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Mod

That would be the one posted in this forum with all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.