Pro-668:what's the latest firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
Site looks genuine, and file dates look correct. The updater exe files are very similar to the firmware updater utilities we use to use with FTA satellite receivers. Each brand had its own update utility, Blackbird, Pansat, Coolsat, etc. Looks interesting. Need to dig up my hex editor, and decompiler.

The updates come from whistler server, that I already knew, as well as several others. You still can't flash a PSR-800 to a Whistler WS1080, as hardware has been changed, as DVSI vocoder not the same and not sure what else they change. The only thing not so sure on is the Whistler 1080 and RadioShack Pro-668 the same, or did they cut cost on the R/S version and what corners did they cut, as may not be just be on the software level?

You will get a "05-03 CONFIG__.BIN" when using Whistler WS1080 firmware on a PSR-800, as I know someone that try and bricked one already, had to unbrick it for them. Not sure with the R/S pro-800 yet as haven't attempted it.

Whistle-Shack

Okay Whistle-Shack , once files are downloaded can you give a step by step on updating the firmware.

step 1
Download ALL the ws1080 files to a folder.Rename files that need to be renamed,replace WS1080 with PRO668.
step 2
There are many ways to complete this step.I used a another pc running Debian and Apache web server.Create the directory /pro668/public in the root of web server.The folder /public Must have Credentials: pro668Public ;oeig(@p06 setup.Now copy the ws1080 files that you downloaded and renamed into that directory.

step 3
Now you have to redirect the pro-668 ISCAN software to you web server.To do that you have add this line to the hosts file on the windows pc. 192.168.1.101 scanner-update.com Replace 192.168.1.101 with the ip of your web server.You can test the setup with web browser.

step 4
Start webserver and open ISCAN software with pro-668 connected to pc and turned on.Click update menu>check for cpu firmware update.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
whistle- shack, will be a legend ,I have 3 pro 668 ,I like to update

Don't give your hopes up. If he did get it to work, he would have prove it already. The info about server location was already known by me and a few others. Don't flash a PSR-800 to a Whistler ws1080 as you will brick it and get a 5-00, or 5-03 error code, a couple people already try it and had to unbrick them. Assuming would be the same with the R/S Pro-668.

Last edited:

Blackswan73

Whistle-Shack, do you have the conventional frequency menu category that is exclusive to the 1080 on your "Whistle-Shack? Can you give us screenshots? You can upload the pics to tinypic, free pic storage, and link here using the forum link on tinypic

Last edited by a moderator:

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
Whistle-Shack, do you have the conventional frequency menu category that is exclusive to the 1080 on your "Whistle-Shack? Can you give us screenshots? You can upload the pics to tinypic, free pic storage, and link here using the forum link on tinypic

All he has to do to prove it works, which I ask earlier, is when scanner is off hit menu and power button. Then take a picture of the screen and post it, while showing the whole scanner. Easy to fake as someone could take a the Whistler internals and put into a RadioShack PRO-668, as they didn't retool the case. The only real way to prove it can be done, is to explain how it was done.

Blackswan73

All he has to do to prove it works, which I ask earlier, is when scanner is off hit menu and power button. Then take a picture of the screen and post it, while showing the whole scanner. Easy to fake as someone could take a the Whistler internals and put into a RadioShack PRO-668, as they didn't retool the case. The only real way to prove it can be done, is to explain how it was done.

Actually the cases are different. The RS case is charcoal gray, and the Whistler case is black. If you take a pic of both side by side, the RS is noticeably lighter. I know because I accident my switched the battery covers, and it was quite noticeable

Whistle-Shack

Actually the cases are different. The RS case is charcoal gray, and the Whistler case is black. If you take a pic of both side by side, the RS is noticeably lighter.

You must have left it out in the sun to long,I have both scanners also and the color is identical.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
Actually the cases are different. The RS case is charcoal gray, and the Whistler case is black. If you take a pic of both side by side, the RS is noticeably lighter. I know because I accident my switched the battery covers, and it was quite noticeable
Yes the color is different I have both, but that about the only different case wise. Still be easy for one to swap internals with one radio to another and make a R/S PRO-668 seem like a Whistler WS1080 to fool someone.

Plus I know how to force flash one frimware to another not going to state how to as it will result in bricking the radio. It been attempted already by several others with the psr-800 to ws1080 that all ended up with error codes afterwards.

One random member that never posted on here before, His very first post come on here to state that he claim to have flashed a PRO-668 into a Whistler WS1080 without going into details how. Just giving the server links that was pulled from software and traffic he just capture it. He have yet to prove that he did flash a PRO-668 into a Whistler WS1080 and you guy are quick think to think he did it. Even If he did, doesn't mean it will work correctly, as noted when people that did a PSR-800 to a Whistler 1080. You have been warned.

Last edited:

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
One random member that never posted on here before, His very first post come on here to state that he claim to have flashed a PRO-668 into a Whistler WS1080 without going into details how. Just giving the server links that was pulled from software and traffic he just capture it. He have yet to prove that he did flash a PRO-668 into a Whistler WS1080 and you guy are quick think to think he did it. Even If he did, doesn't mean it will work correctly, as noted when people that did a PSR-800 to a Whistler 1080. You have been warned.

retropcdos make a very good point. For those of you that only have one Pro-668, unless there is solid evidence that it can be done I would be on the cautious side.

Boatanchor

Oh the intrigue :)

Is this legit or not?

Actually, I can't even find a single youtube video of the PRO668 which is kind of strange considering all the vids of other models. A video of a 668 running WS1080 firmware would be 'interesting'.

Blackswan73

Yes the color is different I have both, but that about the only different case wise. Still be easy for one to swap internals with one radio to another and make a R/S PRO-668 seem like a Whistler WS1080 to fool someone.

Plus I know how to force flash one frimware to another not going to state how to as it will result in bricking the radio. It been attempted already by several others with the psr-800 to ws1080 that all ended up with error codes afterwards.

Since we have the firmware for the RS, should be pretty easy to reflash back if the 1080 firmware does error out. In fact the already bricked 651/652 radios most likely could be unbricked if we had the original firmware. What CPU is used? Atmel, Rockchip, Broadcom, etc?

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Ok I have it setup now. I don't have time to test for a while, but if someone can at least try it and see if they get past the login prompt and let me know how it goes.

W8WCA

Ok I have it setup now. I don't have time to test for a while, but if someone can at least try it and see if they get past the login prompt and let me know how it goes.
When using RS's software & having Mod;'ed the hosts file:
I get this Error message when I try to update (With PRO-668 in the mode for cpu update (Menu then plug in usb)
The update was unable to get an available update version of the firmware from the internet. Please check your Internet connection and try again.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber

prs-800: http://scanner-update.com/0602902/public/

Credentials: User Name 902Public Password Iiu893@f

pro-668: http://scanner-update.com/pro668/public/

Credentials: User Name pro668Public Password ;oeig(@p06

ws1080:
http://scanner-update.com/ws1080/public/

Credentials: User Name ws1080Public Password 1Lus*eug84

Status
Not open for further replies.