Pro-82 Still Programmable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnelle

I was dusting off a Pro-82 to give to my daughter. I probably have an old serial cable to program it but not sure I have any machines with a serial port anymore. Looks like the latest cable is the 20-546. Has anybody tried this new cable with an old Pro-82? What about the software that you apparently have to buy? Is it compatible with any current OS?

shadcall

What will you be programming? That particular model only goes up to 512 MHz so if you will be out of luck if what she wants to listen to is in the 800 MHz range and many trunked systems are in this range. If what she will be listening to is within the frequency range of that scanner it will be easy enough to program it by hand as Jakeportland suggests.

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
ProLink works for the PRO-82.

However, that cable specifically says on RS's website: "This interface cable is not compatible with 20-315, 20-424 or 20-432 scanners."

PRO-82 is 20-315. So unless you can scrounge up an older cable (and possibly an older computer or USB to Serial adapter), manual programming may be the best bet.

EDIT: ProLink does run on Windows 7, but did not test communication with a scanner. If nothing else, it is just a step above using Excel to manage the frequencies. Feel free to PM me if you end up getting a cable and have any questions about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.