Pro-91 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWarlock

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a stronger Antenna for my RadioShack Pro-91. The Antenna I would be looking for would be one that will allow me to continue to use the full range of frequencies the scanner was designed for. Any Recommendations?

Thanks,

Adrian

n5ims

My recommendation is that you stop worrying about the full range the scanner is designed for and look for an antenna that covers the range(s) you actually listen to. Antennas are designed for specific frequency range(s) and if you extend that range too far (like the 20 MHz - 1200 MHz a typical scanner will cover) will get you an antenna that works everywhere, but never really works well anywhere. If you concentrate on just a few specific ranges (like VHF-Hi and UHF) or just a single range (like the 800 MHz band) you can get a really great antenna that works extremely well over that range and may also work on other areas. Since most of the scanning in an area only use one or two main bands, this is pretty easy to do and you won't give up much at all by ignoring bands where there is nothing much in your area that use them.

If you don't know what band or bands to concentrate on, check out the RR database (that second tab labeled "Database") and drill down by country and then county (also called parish, province, etc.) to find your area. You may discover that nearly everything of interest is on the same system and all you need is a good antenna for the band that system uses.

TheWarlock

That would make sense. Better to be a master at one then jack of all master of none.

I have been primarily scanning my local FD (Peel Fire) and they are in the 800MHz. Would you happen to have a recommendation of any online stores?

Thanks,

Adrian

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
That would make sense. Better to be a master at one then jack of all master of none.

I have been primarily scanning my local FD (Peel Fire) and they are in the 800MHz. Would you happen to have a recommendation of any online stores?

Thanks,

Adrian

The Radio Shack 800 MHz. scanner antenna is the best out there for that range, and it is well made and very durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.