PRO-92B question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I am wondering if anyone has had this problem with a 92 before. It scans fine, I have several conventional channels and trunked talkgroups programmed, picking them all up fine. My problem is when I hit the weather scan button nothing at all, when I turn the squelch all the way down, it makes a high pitched buzzing noise. I have tried it with batteries, with the wall adaptor, in different rooms , outside----same thing. Normally I am able to recieve at least 3 NOAA stations (sometimes 7, or even more if the conditons are right), we do have a NOAA station in town, wont even pick that up. I checked the ATT. its off. I know its the 92, my 246-T, IC-R2, even my old PRO-51 all pick them up fine. Anyone have any ideas? Mike

N8IAA

Haley said:
I am wondering if anyone has had this problem with a 92 before. It scans fine, I have several conventional channels and trunked talkgroups programmed, picking them all up fine. My problem is when I hit the weather scan button nothing at all, when I turn the squelch all the way down, it makes a high pitched buzzing noise. I have tried it with batteries, with the wall adaptor, in different rooms , outside----same thing. Normally I am able to recieve at least 3 NOAA stations (sometimes 7, or even more if the conditons are right), we do have a NOAA station in town, wont even pick that up. I checked the ATT. its off. I know its the 92, my 246-T, IC-R2, even my old PRO-51 all pick them up fine. Anyone have any ideas? Mike

Have you tried to program the weather channel into a bank and see if it will receive? Do you have anything else in that frequency range that you could program in?
Larry

Haley

Larry, I have put in the local NOAA freq.(162.5000) and it does recieve that, also all my local RR freq. are coming in 160.8900,160.3200 and 161.1750. I am at a total loss--its never done that until the last couple of days. I could try a re-set, but I REALLY dont want to have to re-program everything. Mike

N8IAA

Haley said:
Larry, I have put in the local NOAA freq.(162.5000) and it does recieve that, also all my local RR freq. are coming in 160.8900,160.3200 and 161.1750. I am at a total loss--its never done that until the last couple of days. I could try a re-set, but I REALLY dont want to have to re-program everything. Mike

Don't do a reset. Are you programming with Win92? Look on the startup (settings/weather) and see if you have them attenuated (check marks in the boxes next to the frequencies). Other than that, I don't know what the problem could be. I used to have a 92 and a 92A. Currently have a 96, 97, and 99. No problems with the 92"s, or the others.
Win92 is a free download at http://www.starrsoft.com
You may need to reset the radio if you can't figure out why it is not receiving off of the wx button.
Larry

Last edited:

Haley

Thanks for the help, I will try what you suggested. I have always liked the 92B for the SAME weather alert feature (actually, I know I might get some flak, but its always been one of my favorite scanners). Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-92

Haley said:
Thanks for the help, I will try what you suggested. I have always liked the 92B for the SAME weather alert feature (actually, I know I might get some flak, but its always been one of my favorite scanners). Mike
You wouldn't get any flak from me, I love my PRO-92 as well!!!

I have to ask, HOW did you program your scanner? Did you use software? If so, which program? You do realize that they weather channels must be "programmed" into the PRO-92. It sounds like yours has lots its programming.

I'd download WIN92, if you don't already have it. Download the scanner data into your PC and check it out. I'll bet that your local Wx channel is not programmed (correctly).

Haley

At least I know that someone besides myself likes the 92s! I actually have 2 (both 92Bs). I bought the first one about 7 years ago, and programmed it by HAND(alpha tags and all). I have checked out WIN92 several times, even downloaded it once (on a previous computer), but never got around to using it.

Do you mean the actual WX button pre-programmed service search is lost? Thats what has been acting up on my 92. I am able to put a NOAA weather freq. into memory, and that works for some reason. This has been a true workhorse scanner for a long time, and it still does great-------except for this little mystery! Mike

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Looking at the Logic schematic, the likely suspect may be the contact point under the WX key. However, that key has two in/out connections to the Microprocessor IC-1. Each of these feed through a Resistor Array. See red box at pin 16 and 85.

Pin 85 also has a control resistor and capacitor to ground.

My very old V1 still functions very well and I have my WX freq programmed in channel 000 as a press scan reminder.

Last edited:

randyK

As I recall with win92 you can change the weather freqs to any freq. Might ought to make sure thay are still programmed with weather.
Randy

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-92 Weather channels

Yes, WIN92 lets you program whatever you want for the Wx frequencies. I scoured all the manuals I have, and I find nothing about this, including a manual means to program those frequencies. I suspect they would get reloaded from a reset, but that is just a hunch. Of course, a true reset will also clear whatever you've got programmed.

If you "cloned" what is in there now, then did a reset, and cloned it back; you would not fix the problem. That's because the programming back from a clone would undo what the reset did. The only way I see to fix this is via software on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.