Pro-95 PC interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristanh

Hi,
I recently purchased a used Pro95 scanner and programming cable (catalog #20-048). When the cable is inserted, the screen switches to clone mode, as expected. However, when I attempt to transfer data using Win95, the transfer always fails and says "expected to read back the data we just wrote - this failed". My COM port is correct. What could be wrong?

mush0man

Premium Subscriber
In the serial configuration window, have you checked the box for extra write time ? That usally works for me.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-95 & win95

Note that you could plug a "stick" into the PC/IF jack of a PRO-95 and get the 'clone mode' message. Inserting a plug simply trips a switch in the jack, it's nothing all that high tech.

One common problem people make is to use the short "pigtail" that comes with some cables. It is NOT needed. I have not used that version of USB cable you have, but I have used the prior model (20-047), the COM port version and some home made cables all successfully. What often confuses people is that the cable end is a "stereo" connection while that scanner only uses a "mono" connection. Nevertheless you don't want to use the short pigtail, just plug the stereo cable end into the scanner.

When I send from the computer with the older USB cable, BOTH LEDs light to show data being sent. The LEDs should at least pulse once when you try to program the scanner, and that would also confirm a correct COM port setting.

Common problems include not having the correct driver for your operating system. If you're running Windows7, make sure you have installed the Windows7 version of the CABLE driver. If XP, ..... etc.

I have the "extra write time" box unchecked. I have the "set RTS high" box unchecked. And I have the "enable readback tests" box checked.

Another problem I once ran into had to do with the fact I have every WINxx program installed (WIN92, WIN93, WIN95, WIN....) and I was using a wrong DLL. If you've only got WIN95 installed and/or it is in its own directory, that shouldn't be an issue.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
gmclam,

Have you ever tried using the scanner on the control channel to power unitrunker or another monitoring software with your Pro-95?

I live in Utah so the Pro-95 didn't survive the reband on the ucan 800 trunk......ugh.....LOL

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I have a PRO-95 running 24/7 with UniTrunker and have since the systems in my area rebanded.

I have other scanners which don't support rebanding that I am also using. There are a couple of programs I routinely use; namely UniTrunker and PDW.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Can you describe your configuration so I can try and duplicate it. I've tried configuring the Pro-95 through the pc/if with the scanner listening to a control channel but unitrunker cannot pick up the data.

Likewise I've also tried it using the earphone jack and we all pretty much know the outcome of that test.
It didn't work because it's not tapped before the clamping of the audio circuit. LOL

Thank you for your prompt and friendly reply gmclam......

DickH

I live in Utah so the Pro-95 didn't survive the reband on the ucan 800 trunk......ugh.....LOL

Just because a system has rebanded does not mean your PRO-95 won't work. It all depends on the freqs. on the site you want to monitor. If a freq. has a zero in the 4th decimal place the PRO-95 can not track it. For example, 851.0250 will show up as 862.0125 and that system does not use that freq.
If a freq. has a 5 in that 4th decimal place (like 851.0125) it can be tracked normally by the PRO-95.
So, if there are 10 freqs. on a particular site and only one of them is a "zero" freq. you will still be able to hear about 90% of the traffic.

I took a quick look at your UCAN system and Sites 1, 9 10 and likely others will work 100% with your PRO-95.

Last edited:

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
DickH,

I have currently selected to use the Pro-95 in conventional mode set to motorola so it will decode the tgid's but it does hit them one hex count (16) high. The limited 90% or less bothers me. LOL

Thank you for the information as it may not help me much but it may benefit others invaluably. The only trouble with scanning in conventional mode is getting all the unwanted voice traffic from everywhere. The plus is when my pro-197's and pro-107 are slumming looking at all the other crap the pro-95 actually tunes in the stuff in my area. In fact the pro-95, with four sites conventional frequencies programmed, is faster to catch the voice traffic than any of my other scanners. I just hate to waste a valuable piece of equipment this way.

I've spent months trying to break down sites and tg's into manageable chunks and I'm still having trouble trying to get the UCAN successfully programmed so I don't miss voice traffic along with having playlists / scanlists still left for the rest of the radio traffic in our area. It seems quite impossible.

SCPD

QRT
I've tried configuring the Pro-95 through the pc/if with the scanner listening to a control channel but unitrunker cannot pick up the data.
I don't think the PRO-95 provides control channel data through it's programming port.

Gmclam has likely tapped the radio to feed discriminator audio to his computer's minrophone or line input.

Last edited:

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
You guys are AWESOME!.....

When someone makes a post (I'm guilty too since I live in my own zip code) any information given of a problem or solution usually excludes the description of their current setup or how they arrived at their current setup. Trial and error can be great teachers in arriving at a setup which works. Its even better if the information is shared with the group so we can see what steps were involved and which one's worked or failed.

I never actually purchased the "serial port converter" cable from RS when I purchased the scanner a number of years ago. I've always programmed the scanner manually never with software. Back then the software was primitive and not well documented. Since acquiring the new Pro-197s for xmas I've found a new interest in programming from the computer since it's much easier and flexible. I've also seen first hand how valuable a good radio setup & tracking software is when monitoring a trunk system!!

I was just wondering if "WIN 95" is the only software one can use to program the Pro-95? There are several posts concerning this and it appears no final answer. And also if the 20-546 for the Pro-197's is compatible with programming the Pro-95 or if a different cable is required?

Paul

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-95 -> UniTrunker

I don't think the PRO-95 provides control channel data through it's programming port.

Gmclam has likely tapped the radio to feed discriminator audio to his computer's minrophone or line input.
That is exactly correct.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I put a discriminator tap on the Pro-95 as you suggested and it works beautifully!

I've always enjoyed the shortcuts in life because they are simple and easy but don't always get the desired results. So putting in just a little more effort makes it work so much better......LOL

Have I told ya'll your awesome?! Well ya are!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<snip>

I was just wondering if "WIN 95" is the only software one can use to program the Pro-95? There are several posts concerning this and it appears no final answer. And also if the 20-546 for the Pro-197's is compatible with programming the Pro-95 or if a different cable is required?

Paul

No the same cable should work for both.

As for other software, there's always (yechhh!) Scancrap...er, Scancat Lite (it's a real POS and should be avoided!) and the Scanstar folks had such software, but it's since been discontinued. Stick with Win95...best regards...Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've always enjoyed the shortcuts in life because they are simple and easy but don't always get the desired results. So putting in just a little more effort makes it work so much better......LOL
I only take shortcuts when driving and want a different view. It amazes me the number of people that will spend all day trying to avoid something where if they'd just hit it head on they would have been done hours earlier. I've found the least path of resistance is doing it the right way the first time. Hell, often Murphy gets in the way anyway and a shortcut would have only made it worse.

And also if the 20-546 for the Pro-197s is compatible with programming the Pro-95
The USB version cables will program all the GRE scanners, including the '95. The only issue I have had is that the older COM version does not work on the '164 forward. That's because they changed to a 2-way serial connection where the older scanners like the '95 could only send or receive at any moment, not both simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.