Pro 96 display failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsh967

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I'm looking for some suggestions/feedback on what to do... I just literally (last night) bought a Pro-96 from radio shack, After about 10 minutes of it being on the display fails and turns blank with the audio still working. After googling the problem I noticed It's quite a common problem with the Pro 96. So my question is, would you exchange the Pro 96 for a new one or do you have any suggestions on a better model/brand?

Thanks in advance.

Bucko

I do not think it is a common problem with the 96 like it is with say the 2055. As far as keeping the 96 is really up to you. If it does what you want it to do then stick with it, you have two more options of course in the PSR and BC396 which have more bells and whistles which to me is worth the extra cost.

KB9NLL

New London (Outagamie Co. WI) & Readfield (waupa
I havn't heard that either. You should be able to exchange it for a new one if only 10 minutes old. Definetly don't let them repair it, get a new one or take it back altogether. As far as models research it. I bought mine before the psr came out (if it's that new one- GRE?), so I haven't had a reason to check it out. As far as the BCD-396T reviews I found seemed like the pro-96 had functionality big on memories/banks possibly better recieve. And the 396 had bells and whistles. Some day when I have money I'm going to get the 396 or something else, PSR? One thing I somewhat regreted was when I found out that there was a lot of LTR trunking in my area (was new to trunking) but at least it got the motorola and p25 systems which is what police and municipalities use here. Only missing the business trunking for now. Me personally I never would of gotten by with the lack of memories on the 396. And when I go to a different area I just load a different V-scanner that I programmed ahead of time. I think It's a great radio.:D

Last edited:

avgas

I had the same thing happen to me. Audio was fine but display didnt work from the second I took it out of the box. I took it back and got a new one off the shelf that the display worked but it had no audio. I then returned that one and waited for 2 weeks for another new one. Glad to say that the 3rd unit has been working fine.

I've had several components fail on mine (keypad, Volume POT, Grips) and it's been less than 2 years from the date of purchase. Fortunately these were all simple repairs, although getting the keypad took over a month.
Comparing it with other RS/GRE Scanners I have owned I'd say it lacks a lot in the reliability department. My suggestion would be to get a refund & try the BC396, that's what I plan to do if something fails on it that I can't fix myself. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.