Pro-96 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

derota

I programmed the control frequency for my county's p25 system into my scanner and I can't hear anything. It reads DG in the right top corner of the screen. Am I doing something wrong? I'm new to digital scanners.

I programmed the control frequency for my county's p25 system into my scanner and I can't hear anything. It reads DG in the right top corner of the screen. Am I doing something wrong? I'm new to digital scanners.
When you programmed in the control channel did you have set as MOT?

Heres the manaul on programming the PRO 96 for digital system. http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc71/71778.pdf page33

Is your firmware updated in your scanner that helps decode the digital better?

Last edited:

derota

Last edited:
Yes, I followed the instruction when I first programmed it and by the way this is a simulcast system. My firmware is DSP-APP:U1.4
Wish I could help you more. The only other thing I could think of is do you have it in open or closed mode?

To change from Open Mode to Closed Mode (or the reverse).
1. Press FUNC + 5 (Bank Open or Bank Closed will display).
Note: The scanner will not stop on any TG id’s which are Locked-Out, OPEN or CLOSED modes.

jamesa53

You might ask in the Minnesota forum on this site, perhaps someone has a file that they might send you.

SAR923

It looks like you already got an answer in the Minnesota forum. It's best not to crosspost these types of questions. Since the ARMER system is still under construction, it's likely that control channels will change from time to time. I would program all the frequencies listed for a site, so the radio can lock on the right frequency when a control channel changes.

derota

It looks like you already got an answer in the Minnesota forum. It's best not to crosspost these types of questions. Since the ARMER system is still under construction, it's likely that control channels will change from time to time. I would program all the frequencies listed for a site, so the radio can lock on the right frequency when a control channel changes.

I've already had all the frequencies for that site programmed in. When I manually go to the control channel I can see DG in the corner and It's like someone is pressing down the mic, but not saying anything.

SAR923

Go back to the Minnesota forum (remember what I said about crossposting?) and ask the question there. People in Minnesota that are monitoring the ARMER can give you much better answers than most of us. It's possible the system is still testing, hence you're only getting an open carrier on the control frequency.

derota

Go back to the Minnesota forum (remember what I said about crossposting?) and ask the question there. People in Minnesota that are monitoring the ARMER can give you much better answers than most of us. It's possible the system is still testing, hence you're only getting an open carrier on the control frequency.

I took the back off and took a picture. does this look right? I bought this used on eBay.

Attachments

• 210_1520.jpg
    210_1520.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,686
  • 210_1519.jpg
    210_1519.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,802

RickS31

I guess I have a hard time understanding what the picture of the scanner internals has to do with what you have programmed in. But, that aside, if you are really on a CC it should sound like a motorboat and not an open mike. Just an observation though.
Regards,

SAR923

Yes, it's a glue and insulator for the components in the soldered case. This is one way RS can tell if the radio has been taken apart by a non-authorized service center. I don't think you have a problem with your hardware, you just need to get the system in there correctly. Again, the people in the Minnesota forum should be able to tell you if what you've done matches their settings.

derota

I've programmed in all the frequencies besides the control channel and tuned all them up one step and turned off the delay, (858.9000 to 852.90625). Otherwise it would sound garbled and unintelligible. I can only hear it clearly when I'm about 5 to 6 miles from my nearest simulcast tower (I live 9 miles away). In certain places in my house I can hear them clearly. This was just to let everyone know I don't have a problem listening anymore.

Toodles

RE: Garbled receive

I've programmed in all the frequencies besides the control channel and tuned all them up one step and turned off the delay, (858.9000 to 852.90625). Otherwise it would sound garbled and unintelligible. I can only hear it clearly when I'm about 5 to 6 miles from my nearest simulcast tower (I live 9 miles away). In certain places in my house I can hear them clearly. This was just to let everyone know I don't have a problem listening anymore.

I have a Radio Shack PRO 2096 and after all of the years on analog,they switched to multi path Simulcast and now all I get is garbled mush with a few clear words once in awhile. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have not messed with the Firmware, or anything. I did invest in the cable and got a disc with it for something similar to WIN products, so I am not getting anywhere. I have two other identical radios to
get tuned in.Please help me if you can..

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I have a Radio Shack PRO 2096 and after all of the years on analog,they switched to multi path Simulcast and now all I get is garbled mush with a few clear words once in awhile. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have not messed with the Firmware, or anything. I did invest in the cable and got a disc with it for something similar to WIN products, so I am not getting anywhere. I have two other identical radios to
get tuned in.Please help me if you can..
From RR Wiki
"Simulcast refers to the process of transmitting the same signal from multiple sites on the same frequency at the same time."
Pointing a directional antenna at nearest tower may help.

From RR Wiki
"Simulcast refers to the process of transmitting the same signal from multiple sites on the same frequency at the same time."
Pointing a directional antenna at nearest tower may help.

I had a Pro 96 a few years ago and had a terrible time digesting the P25 CQPSK simulcast system in Omaha. Same issues, garbled audio, lost transmissions, etc., tried a directional antenna, didn't do any good. I had to "stand under the tower" to get any intelligible audio.

I tried firmware updates, didn't help matters any. But I believe Pro 96 had a problem with simulcast systems as a whole.

But the Pro 96 rocks with non-simulcasted CQPSK P25 systems, such as C4FM.

Status
Not open for further replies.