Pro-96 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

N71FS

Premium Subscriber
Ok so im new to scanning and lately ive learned alot.but I still have some questions I cant figure out online ,In the manual or the easy to read manual thats online.First ,Where can I get the CTCSS tone #'s ?I've been trying to figure out how to get them and how to program them with no luck so far.Second Ive programed Talk Group Id's for a Trunked Motorola Type II SmartNet System.My Question ,Do the text ID's show up when that group is talking.The channel has been quiet lately so I cant look to see if it does.
Thanks,
N71FS
Also I accidently posted this as Pro-96 I actually have a Pro-97

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The database here has the CTCSS tones, when they are used and known. Some users do not use CTCSS, but use DCS instead. (Many people use the Motorola tradmarked names of Private Line (PL) Digital Private Line (DPL) for CTCSS and DCS, respectively.)

Have you looked at the wiki entry for the Pro-97?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
When monitoring a trunking system, you don't need to have the CTCSS enabled. A tone is listed, but that is an access tone, for users.

ka2wey

CTCSS tones

For regular scanning receiving, the CTCSS tones are not needed. Enabling the CTCSS tone squelch mode
is unnecessary because you can receive any signal on the frequency you are monitoring without it. You may
miss weaker signals that can't open the the tone squelch. If it important that you only listen to a certain service
(for instance if you are volunteer fireman listening to your fire company) then you should enable the CTCSS
mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.