pro 96 strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushomes

ok when its searching its not picking anything up but when i hit the manual button and stop in a a popular frequency if i wait i will hear stuff and it was working fine before did i accidently hit a button ?

JESSERABBIT

ushomes, if you haven't done so already, you may want to sit down and read the user's manual that came with the radio. That may answer some of the questions that you have, but others may not be covered in the manual. You may want to start at the beginning, take it one step at a time, be patient, and go from there. If the manual doesn't make sense, (some of it doesn't even make sense to me), come on back here for help. The people here are patient and will help you as much as possible. I've had my Pro-96 for years and still come up on things that baffle me, so I come here to ask. Sometimes when it stops on a frequency that you program just at the end of a transmission, it will pause if you have it set to delay, then continue scanning. If it is not set to delay it will immediately start scanning again at the end of a transmission. Searching and scanning are different things entirely. Searching is looking for a specific frequency among many that may be in the "search range", that is like 154.00 to 155.00. Scanning means that it is changing the frequencies that you have already programmed in a bank, for example if you have several frquencies programmed in bank 1 and bank 1 is not closed, meaning that it is not locked out by you and at least one frequency is not locked out by you, it will look for someone talking on one of those frequencies. When if finds that frequency, it will stop and will stay on that until no one is talking then continue scanning until is stops again when someone talks again on that frequency or another frequency that is not locked out. Try to start understanding the basic things first then go on from there. I know my explaination may look like mud to you, but keep working at it and it eventually may become clear to you. Any other questions, feel free to ask. There are others here who I am sure know a lot more than me and may be able to explain things better. Patience pays with this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Search vs Manual

Search is sweeping frequencies quickly. If a transmitter isn't transmitting when Search touches that frequency, it won't stop there.

On my Pro-97 (many similar features) it seems as if the antenna is disconnected when in Search because the sensitivity is terrible in Search.

Try using Tune instead. (look for it in your manual) It still sweeps quickly but it might be more sensitive.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Search

JESSERABBIT said:
NWOU, Do you think the apparent antenna disconnct is some sort of close call type feature? I don't do searches often.

I don't know. There's nothing in the manual to suggest it.

I've wondered if it might be a mismatch in the step sizes vs actual usage but I have no way to know.

I gave up on Search while in an airport searching aviation freqs and not coming up with any - even though I was line of sight to the tower. Programmed search was no better.

Tune works well but it requires operator attention because it has no settable limits to search between unless you consider the entire scanner coverage to be the limits.

I've been working on mapping and reporting some LTR systems in my area and have found manual stepping using Tune to be the best way to find these systems.

n2mdk

NW0U said:
Search is sweeping frequencies quickly. If a transmitter isn't transmitting when Search touches that frequency, it won't stop there.

On my Pro-97 (many similar features) it seems as if the antenna is disconnected when in Search because the sensitivity is terrible in Search.

Try using Tune instead. (look for it in your manual) It still sweeps quickly but it might be more sensitive.

Sounds more like you are using Signal Stalker rather than the Search feature, sensitivity is grealty reduced in that mode, not in Search.
To the OP the scanner is simply not getting the active signal as it searches, if you use a custom limit search you will have greater chance of getting something picked up.

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Search vs Close Call

n2mdk said:
Sounds more like you are using Signal Stalker rather than the Search feature, sensitivity is grealty reduced in that mode, not in Search.

Indeed it does sound that way but I assure you I'm only pushing SRCH not the signal stalker. Could be my radio I suppose. Just offering my observations.

SCPD

QRT
As the orginal post its a PRO96 & the pro 96 does NOT have Signal stalker...been following this thread & have a a 96 & that just hit me lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.