PRO 97 Programming Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucabear09

Yes I am very new to scanning. I recently purchased a Pro 97 and am trying to program a local frequency. The primary control channels are 854.61250c 856.73750c 859.73750c. I have programmed these in and changed the mode to MO. On one of the control channels, I see the MOT: Sys-4210 95%. Every so often that line will change to MOT: and a number which I assume is the talkgroup. Why do I hear a loud buzzing noise instead of the conversations? Thanks for help, please excuse my lack of knowledge I'm still new at this.

SCPD

QRT
Yes I am very new to scanning. I recently purchased a Pro 97 and am trying to program a local frequency. The primary control channels are 854.61250c 856.73750c 859.73750c. I have programmed these in and changed the mode to MO. On one of the control channels, I see the MOT: Sys-4210 95%. Every so often that line will change to MOT: and a number which I assume is the talkgroup. Why do I hear a loud buzzing noise instead of the conversations? Thanks for help, please excuse my lack of knowledge I'm still new at this.

try putting the bank in scan( trunk) mode, got the bank & hit fctn trunk & put in MO mode

fireside

Premium Subscriber
When you use manual to get to the CC you will see that data. While in MAN. hit FUNC then ., this will change the bank to open or closed. Open hears all talkgroups, closed hears only talkgroups you have saved. Press scan and you should hear traffic while in open mode. If you hear a talkgroup you want to save, press the orange T, that will save it.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97 and trunking

Yes I am very new to scanning. I recently purchased a Pro 97 and am trying to program a local frequency.
Hello and welcome to RadioReference.com. In the olden days everyone simply used frequencies; we now call that "conventional". What you are trying to monitor is a "trunked radio system" (TRS).

The primary control channels are 854.61250c 856.73750c 859.73750c. I have programmed these in and changed the mode to MO.
It sounds like you are programming these manually. That's OK, but keep in mind you will need to set each frequency to "MO" (which you state you've done) as well as the BANK. After you've programmed in the 4 frequencies, press FUNC TRUNK. Next you may need to press the MODE button several times to select the correct mode for the bank of MO.

On one of the control channels, I see the MOT: Sys-4210 95%. Every so often that line will change to MOT: and a number which I assume is the talkgroup. Why do I hear a loud buzzing noise instead of the conversations? Thanks for help, please excuse my lack of knowledge I'm still new at this.
The buzzing sound is data being sent over the control channel. Other frequencies on the system (not likely those you have programmed) will have parts of the conversations. In order to "trunk track" conversations you MUST be in SCAN mode. If you're getting 95% from the control channel that is great. You should not have problems getting the conversations.

Note that there are two basic ways to operate the PRO-97 with regards to trunked systems. They are called "open" and "closed" mode. In open mode, the scanner will stop on ANY talkgroup that is active. In closed mode, the scanner will only stop on a talkgroup which has been programmed, is in a sub-group which is on and is not locked out. While you are scanning, under the digit on the display which represents the bank you are using, there will be a "+" or a "-". + indicates the bank is in open mode, - indicates it is in closed mode. To toggle the bank, press FUNC DELAY while in MAN mode.

The manual that comes with the scanner is one of the worst in history. There is an online version which is much easier to understand. You can also find more info on that scanner here: Pro-97 - The RadioReference Wiki

N1BHH

Once one frequency is programmed manually with the correct mode from the beginning, the rest of the frequencies consecutively programmed will retain the mode setting, until you need to set another mode for another frequency in the same bank. The bank's mode also defaults to whatever mode the first frequency is set to, as long as it's MO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.