PRO 97 question from my neighbor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
If this has already been asked, then I appologise - I don't normally peek in this topic area.

My next door neighbor just purchased a PRO 97 from a know-nothing clerk at the R/S. He asked me if I would ask around:

"Is there any way to default the entire 1000 memory locations back to NO DATA (frequency OR text - completely blank) in one procedure... OR does this have to be done somehow bank by bank? He does not have a computer for programming or deprogramming"

Please walk me through the procedure(s) step by step so I can print it and give him a copy. THANKS ahead of time!

Rev. Gary

jeffrey420

Initialize the scanner.

The best thing he could do is initialize his scanner. The procedure is on page 84 of his manual. Tell him to follow the procedure in detail.

Below was pasted from page 84 of the manual.

Beyond the Basics
initializing your scanner
If the scanner’s display locks up or does not work properly
after you connect a power source or install batteries, you
might need to initialize it.
This procedure clears all information you stored in the
scanner’s memory. Initialize the scanner only when you
are sure the scanner is not working properly.
1. Turn off the scanner, then turn it on again. Multi-system
Trunking Scanner appears.
2. Press 0 while Multi-system Trunking Scanner appears.
3. Press 1.
4. Press ENT. Initializing please stand by. appears for about 5
seconds.
Do not turn off the scanner until the initalization is
complete. When the initialization is complete, M000
appears on the top line of the display. Bank 0 Ch 00
appears on the third line.
Notes
Notes

Last edited:

DanHenry

Software is only quick way to clear all "blank" text tags.

RevGary,

Jeffrey is absolutely correct on the procedure for your friend to initialize the PRO-97 scanner and zeroize all channels. The only bad part is that it will still have the "blank" text tags shown below that I'm not a big fan of.

Bank 0 Ch 00
Bank 0 Ch 01
Bank 0 Ch 02

To truly blank the text tags by hand would be slow and require this procedure:

-Press MAN 001 MAN

-press PGM
-press TEXT
-press F (function)
-press CL (this clears the text)
-press ENT (to enter data)

-press PGM for next channel and repeat all steps

I know your friend doesn't have software available, but the way I do it is with WIN97. I delete the text for 10 channels and then just copy the blank channels (with blank text) over the blank channels (with the "not so blank" text). For me it's much easier to visually look through a list of blank text tags for blank channels.

Good luck,

-Dan

KLH

Feed Provider
I'm not sure if you can do this with the PRO-97 or not, but you can erease everything in your scanner by holding down 2 & 9 at the same time while turning on the scanner.

I know this works with some older models, not sure about the 97 or not. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Thank you - I'm sure that this will help him get started. Unfortunate that the PRO 97 comes from the factory programmed with 250 channels and text tags that do not mean anything at all in this area. This is an inconvenience for new users because they have to be removed and reprogrammed - a time consuming and unnecessary procedure that Radio Shack is placing upon customers. Speaking with the 'clerks' at some R/S stores areound here is about the same as speaking with a brick wall. Every time we go to an R/S, there are personnel changes - no one seems to stay there as an employee very long, so they can not 'learn' product details and help out their customers. Unfortunate...

Thank you both for your info...

Status
Not open for further replies.