Pro 97 scanning not receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehssooner14

Hello,
I just bought a used Pro 97 fairly cheap with hopes that it may be an easy fix. The scanner turns on and other wise functions fine however it does not stop on any frequencies. I thought that this may just be due to the antenna connector becoming loose from the board. Any ideas? I was wondering if anybody had and photos of what the scanner should look like with the back taken off so I can try to see if I can find out what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

tonyclark

Premium Subscriber
Is the squelch working, turning the knob?
Try a different antenna.
Look at the antenna solder joints real good, they can look good and not be.
Problem could be on the main cpu board.

DickH

Is the squelch working, turning the knob?

That reminds me of an old police Sgt. in the next town to me on the east coast many years ago. He was on the desk (dispatch) and a car told him his signal was breaking up. His reply was, "wiggle the squelch". Obviously he was a real electronics whiz. :)

Northe

Make sure your priority is off

I ran into a situation where the PRO 97 seemed to be scanning, but did not stop, and there was no sound when the squelch was turned all the way off. I discovered that I had the priority (second button in the left most column marked PRI) accidentally turned on.

Northe
N6KO

DickH

I ran into a situation where the PRO 97 seemed to be scanning, but did not stop, and there was no sound when the squelch was turned all the way off. I discovered that I had the priority (second button in the left most column marked PRI) accidentally turned on.

Northe
N6KO

That's strange, because most priorities work by interrupting the scanning or signal if it's stopped on a channel. It does that to sample the priority channel and if someone is talking it switches to it.

ehssooner14

I tried a different antenna, no luck. The squelch doesn't seem to be working. I can turn it all the way either way and it does not make any noise. The antenna connector seems to be fine, no breaks in the solder. I can't tell if there is any problems with the CPU board or not.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I tried a different antenna, no luck. The squelch doesn't seem to be working. I can turn it all the way either way and it does not make any noise. The antenna connector seems to be fine, no breaks in the solder. I can't tell if there is any problems with the CPU board or not.

The PRO-97 and other GRE made scanners have poor quality squelch and volume controls. Failure is common and produces the symptoms you described. Replacing the potentiometer should fix the problem. I've repaired five PRO-97's with this problem myself.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97 woes

The most likely failures are mechanical in nature -- antenna connector, squelch/volume potentiometers, DC power jack switch, etc. I've replaced numerous potentiometers in those things.

I assume you do not receive anything on a NOAA weather frequency. These things really are multiple receivers in one, there's only a few things that can kill reception on all bands. But if you don't hear the rushing in the speaker when the squelch is fully off, there you go. When the squelch is open you should see the lightning bolt on the display. If you see the lightning bolt and don't hear audio, then I'd check the volume potentiometer next.

ehssooner14

The PRO-97 and other GRE made scanners have poor quality squelch and volume controls. Failure is common and produces the symptoms you described. Replacing the potentiometer should fix the problem. I've repaired five PRO-97's with this problem myself.

Sounds like I bit off more than I can chew with this one. How hard is that to fix?

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like I bit off more than I can chew with this one. How hard is that to fix?

You will need the right tools and experience to do the repair successfully. The board must be removed from the radio and the old pot desoldered and removed. If you get that far, mounting and soldering the new part is comparatively easy.

Here is the part you would need to order.
12429163 POT VOLUME 50K OHM, SQUELCH 10K OHM $15.89

grumpyroger

Premium Subscriber
I too just bought a Pro-97 off of eBay, it worked good until yesterday, it scans, the volume and squelch all work, but I am not receiving any signals or data channels. Even the Weather does not come in, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.