Pro 97 Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGeorge143

I have programmed the frequencies for my area (Myrtle Beach SC) and they work fine. However I would like to lockout certain agencies like public works from the talkgroup. Is there any way to exclude a certain agency like that? Also if I enter a talkgroup in the bank is there a way to prioritize those talkgroups?

Thanks

Don_Burke

PGeorge143 said:
I have programmed the frequencies for my area (Myrtle Beach SC) and they work fine. However I would like to lockout certain agencies like public works from the talkgroup. Is there any way to exclude a certain agency like that? Also if I enter a talkgroup in the bank is there a way to prioritize those talkgroups?

Thanks
No priority feature, but you can just hit lockout when a talkgroup you do not want comes up. There is a way to lock them out when they are not talking, but I have not used it in a while.

BTW you can lockout talkgroups in the open mode even though the manual says you can not.

SCPD

QRT
you can arrange them in A) in separate banks 1) fire) 2) police etc & then put in closed mode or B) arrange in the Sub banks , Police in sub bank 0, fire in sub bank 1 etc & and toggle them on/off as needed. some here will have the link for the "easy to read Manual or you can look in the RR wiki
Paul

PGeorge143

Pro 97

Thanks Don

The problem is that my talkgroups are not coming up- are they associated with the frequencies or does it scan the talkgroups seperately? I thought the talkgroups are just part of the counties frequency settings. Maybe I did not program them correctly -

Thanks

Paul

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Talkgroups not coming up?

Not sure if this is the issue or not but for some reason when I programmed my Pro-97 using Win97 for an LTR system I've been working out it set all the talkgroup subgroups to OFF. This didn't show up until I set the bank to Closed (Man Funct - Delay) and then none of my talkgroups were heard. Had to re-set the talkgroup sub-ids to ON (Manual F - trunk F- 1 to turn a subgroup of talkgroups ON/OFF)

Maybe Win97 had this checkbox setting as a default. I dunno. Easy to remedy.

Nothing wrong with Win97 - just operator ignorance or inattention on my part.
(corrected error on original posting)

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97 & trunking

NW0U said:
Not sure if this is the issue or not but for some reason when I programmed my Pro-97 using Win97 for an LTR system I've been working out it set all the talkgroup subgroups to OFF. This didn't show up until I set the bank to Closed and then none of my talkgroups were heard. Had to re-set the talkgroup sub-ids to ON (Manual F - trunk F-delay to turn a subgroup of talkgroups ON/OFF)
FUNC DELAY toggles the bank from OPEN to CLOSED. FUNC 1 toggles a sub group ON and OFF.

Regarding trunking and priority; There is no such thing. The scanner receives data from the active control channel. If a TG ID is received that you want to hear (the TG is programmed, not locked out, and sub group on), then it selects the voice channel assigned to that TG. Programming TGs in a different order will NOT affect "priority", other than a few microseconds it takes the CPU to find a match in the list.

I highly do not recommend programming the same TRS into multiple banks. The scanner works best on trunked conversations if it can just "sit" on the active control channel and receive constantly. I've found that I miss too much if not working this way to the point I've dedicated one scanner for just monitoring my local TRS and a separate scanner for conventional stuff.

PGeorge143 said:
The problem is that my talkgroups are not coming up- are they associated with the frequencies or does it scan the talkgroups seperately?
The PRO-97 scans "frequencies", as you've programmed them. When one of those frequencies is an active control channel (and the mode set as such) it reads the data being sent. When data indicates the start of a transmission, it looks up the TG to see if you want to hear it, as desribed above.

Last edited:

PGeorge143

Pro 97

Ok excuse my ignorance

I have programmed 15 trunked frequencies into Bank 2- I have 10 or so talkgroups that I programmed in as well. So how can I monitor those talkgroups? Not sure they are in sub groups. Second, when I program the receive mode to Mot (It is a type II system) and scan the trunked frequencies I do not pick up anything under scan. I pick up the transmissions fine under FM receive mode. I want to get rid of the Public Works agencies on the trunked frequencies and I'm not sure I can do that. Am I correct in saying that all agencies broadcast acroos the 15 trunked frequencies I programmed. (Horry County SC) In FM mode it doesn not display the Mot ID number- only under Mot receive mode.

Thanks

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97 & MO trunking

PGeorge143 said:
I have programmed 15 trunked frequencies into Bank 2- I have 10 or so talkgroups that I programmed in as well. So how can I monitor those talkgroups? Not sure they are in sub groups. Second, when I program the receive mode to Mot (It is a type II system) and scan the trunked frequencies I do not pick up anything under scan. I pick up the transmissions fine under FM receive mode. I want to get rid of the Public Works agencies on the trunked frequencies and I'm not sure I can do that. Am I correct in saying that all agencies broadcast acroos the 15 trunked frequencies I programmed. (Horry County SC) In FM mode it doesn not display the Mot ID number- only under Mot receive mode.
Yes, you will hear "pieces" of conversations on each frequency when you are in MAN mode or if the frequency is not set to the correct mode.

If you are trying to listen to a MOtorola TRS, make sure ALL 15 frequencies are set to MO mode. If you listen to each frequency, you'll find one that is "active" and it will display statistics on the 4th line of the display. Note that the scanner actually only needs this ONE frequency to monitor the entire TRS. However, up to 4 control cannel frequencies are possible, and they can change at any time. If the system you are monitoring is not MO, then the details are different.

The fact that you are getting "public works" and other things you do not want tells me one of the following is happening: a) you are listening in MAN mode, not SCAN mode; b) the bank is set to OPEN and not CLOSED; or c) ALL of the frequencies are not set to MO mode.

1. Program the (up to 4) control channel frequencies. Set the mode on each to MO.
2. Program the talkgroups you want to hear. The PRO-97 organizes these into 5 sub groups of 30 TGs for 150 total. They are numbered 0-00 to 0-29 for the first group.
3. Make sure the bank is CLOSED. When scanning a "-" will be displayed beneath the bank number. If "+" is displaying, the bank is open.
4. Press SCAN.

Good luck

PGeorge143

Pro 97

Ok now I have closed the bank and switched all channels to MO but when I hit scan I get nothing- If i switch to Manual then I can pick up that channel

Sorry- what do you think I did?

PGeorge143

Pro 97

Let me rephrase that

I switched the 15 channels I am using to MO- the other 85 blank ones are set to FM

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PGeorge143 said:
Ok now I have closed the bank and switched all channels to MO but when I hit scan I get nothing- If i switch to Manual then I can pick up that channel

Sorry- what do you think I did?
Let's start by checking how well you receive the control channel. It is the KEY to getting everything working correctly. Perhaps you can post a link here to the specific system you are trying to monitor and we can look at the data. Also, in MAN mode, stepping through the channels, do you receive the control channel? What % of data received are you seeing? What is the ID received? (let's make sure the control channel you're receiving matches what you want to hear).

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Myrtle Beach, SC

PGeorge143 said:
Horry County SC-
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2338
What is the control channel? lol
One system shows the following frequencies:
866.70000 867.28750* 868.20000* 868.58750* 868.92500*
Those shown in red are control channels, but only one of them will be active at a time. Control channels are where the "data" is sent regarding which talkgroups (and radios) are on what frequency at any moment. If you do not understand trunking, there is a lot of information regarding trunking in the Wiki section here at RR.

The system ID for the above system is 5D3A. Is that the ID you are seeing?

PGeorge143

Pro 97

Yes I have those all programmed in as well however one of them is the one that sounds like the motor/engine sound- so I removed that

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Lol!!!

PGeorge143 said:
Yes I have those all programmed in as well however one of them is the one that sounds like the motor/engine sound- so I removed that
Well, that "motorboat" is the control channel. You NEED all of the 4 red frequencies. I would not program anything other than those frequencies into a bank (at least until you get this working). Typically, you'll want other trunked systems programmed into separate banks. One reason for this is they will have a different set of talkgroups, but there are other reasons as well.

1. Program in the 5 frequencies.
2. Set them ALL to MO mode.
3. Program the desired talkgroups. Make sure they are not locked out and the sub group(s) they are in is/are ON.
4. Set the bank to closed.
5. Press SCAN.

PGeorge143

Pro 97

Actually that is City of Myrtle BEach I am using Horry County

that is 3813- where should I see that?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Horry County Public Safety System

PGeorge143 said:
Actually that is City of Myrtle BEach I am using Horry County
that is 3813- where should I see that?
The link you posted only led me to the county. There are SEVERAL trunked systems there and I have no idea of which one you want to receive. When you are in MAN mode, with the scanner listening to that frequency with the motorboat on it, with the channel set to MO mode, it will display "statistics" on the 4th line of the display. The data includes TGs being used, % of data received and the system ID. If in fact you want to receive system 3813, then you'll want to program the following 4 frequencies:
857.21250 858.21250 859.21250 860.21250

Another reason you "might not hear anything" is because you have talkgroups programmed which do NOT match the control channel you are receiving. This is one reason I strongly suggest that you do not mix trunked systems in a single bank. Follow the data posted here on RR, program in the control channels, and program TGs for that system only into a bank. If you want to hear another system, at least for now, use a different bank. That will assure you don't get stuff you don't want like public works.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=541

PGeorge143

Pro 97

Ok now I see the system ID

I still have the 15 frequencies in- is that ok- they are all set to MO - how can I tell if the Talkgroups are in? how do I know if they are in subgroups? Bank is closed Still nothing when I hit scan

Im pretty intelligent but don't see any of this in the manuals or easy reading one lol

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-97 Manual

PGeorge143 said:
Ok now I see the system ID

I still have the 15 frequencies in- is that ok-
It is "ok", but not best. Having more than just the control channels programmed means the scanner will be going through them when it does not have to. No real harm as you can lock out the non control channels if you like.

they are all set to MO - how can I tell if the Talkgroups are in? how do I know if they are in subgroups?
Go to the bank, MAN mode. Press FUNC TRUNK. Use the UP and DOWN arrows to navigate the possible 150 talkgroups. Use FUNC UP or FUNC DOWN to navigate sub groups (30 TGs). In the upper right corner you will see "ON" or "OFF" to indicate if the sub group is on or off. Press FUNC 1 to toggle its state. Also an "L" will display if the individual talkgroup is locked out. Press L_OUT to toggle that. Try it to see what I mean.

Bank is closed Still nothing when I hit scan
Go back to the start of this thread. Do you receive the control channel? What percentage of data are you getting? If the signal is not good enough for the scanner to lock on to, nothing else will work. Make sure the channel with the control channel is not locked out.

Im pretty intelligent but don't see any of this in the manuals or easy reading one lol
The PRO-97 manual is the worst I have ever seen (and I read them all). It does not provide much insight and the reader must have "other knowledge" to get the most out of it. Fortunately there is an "easier to read" version posted in the Wiki section here on RR. Go to the Wiki, search for PRO-97 and read as much as you can. ALL of this info is in there (and more).

Status
Not open for further replies.