PRO106 no longer receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpca3877

Premium Subscriber
Two days ago, my PRO106 stopped receiving signals apparently. It powers up, it scans, and my programmed data is still there. Only thing I can think of is my antenna finally went bad. Is there something else I should consider?

IMG_0716.jpg

Hit_Factor

Why do you suspect the antenna? Which antenna?

Lightning makes an antenna go bad with the radio.

Rough use on a rubber duck antenna might break it.

Generally, antennas are not the problem in a receive only scenario.

You can test VHF weather with any 15" piece of wire touching the center conductor of you antenna jack. If you can't receive the weather, it's probably the scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did the trunk system migrate to a new one? Did you have all the control channels for the system you were trunking? I would check in your state's forum and database.

Mike

alpca3877

Premium Subscriber
Did the trunk system migrate to a new one? Did you have all the control channels for the system you were trunking? I would check in your state's forum and database.

Mike
Hi, thanks. Nothing migrated according to multiple sources.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Then check your programming against the database. It's a little hard to show you where to go since we don't know your location (county/state is fine) and what trunk you're trying to hear. Make sure you have all the control channels programmed in. If the system goes to a control channel you don't have, trunking will fail.....Mike

alpca3877

Premium Subscriber
Why do you suspect the antenna? Which antenna?

Lightning makes an antenna go bad with the radio.

Rough use on a rubber duck antenna might break it.

Generally, antennas are not the problem in a receive only scenario.

You can test VHF weather with any 15" piece of wire touching the center conductor of you antenna jack. If you can't receive the weather, it's probably the scanner.

Hi Mike -

The antenna has absorbed numerous falls over the years, though not yesterday - it's the RS 800mhz antenna that came with the scanner.

It has a WX button, which i just tried - nothing coming through. I'm now performing a search from 25.000-1300.000 to see if I can get anything. So far it's stopped on static a few times, but no voices.

alpca3877

Premium Subscriber
Then check your programming against the database. It's a little hard to show you where to go since we don't know your location (county/state is fine) and what trunk you're trying to hear. Make sure you have all the control channels programmed in. If the system goes to a control channel you don't have, trunking will fail.....Mike

Thank you - I'll double check it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
But it's interesting that the signal bars are pegged.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Try turning off the squelch. Does it stop on talkgroups? Try an earpiece. The contacts in the jack may be dirty and cutting off the speaker.

alpca3877

Premium Subscriber
Try turning off the squelch. Does it stop on talkgroups? Try an earpiece. The contacts in the jack may be dirty and cutting off the speaker.

Squelch is all the way down and doesn't stop anywhere except the occasional static. If it stopped somewhere and I couldn't hear it, then I'd think speaker. Since it doesn't even stop anywhere, that's what caused me to think antenna

alpca3877

Premium Subscriber
The internal broken antenna connection has been a common problem with that scanner.

Internal being the key word there - maybe I'll open it up and have a look. I'm certainly not an electronics expert though. Thanks!

AC9BX

I agree, start fresh before opening the case. Sometimes the radio gets confused. I'd backup the programming, factory refresh, try listening to the weather.
It's not a broken antenna or connector. If that picture is your radio you have full signal.
That could be overload. Maybe something new is completely saturating the radio, it does happen.
So, it scans and never stops on anything or does it stop but you don't hear anything? Those are very different problems?
I've encountered squelch problems with the 106/197, it goes to full off (stops on everything including no signal) or full on, above normal (stops on nothing regardless of how much signal.)
If it visually seems to be working but there's no sound it can be the speaker, the headphone jack, volume control is open (it's not a very reliable component) or the amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.