Pro96 not working for p25 here in Meck Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkBa

Hey folks, I recently picked up a RS Pro 96 to try and listen to the newer p25 radios being used here in Meck Co. I used older RS models for the Motorola system for years and they all worked fine. The older Motorola system still picks up using the Pro 96 but I get nothing when trying to listen to the newer p25 system. I will sometimes see trunk ID's flash across the control channel but that's about it, the static never squelches and no comms.

I got a RR.com account and am downloading the system using both Win96 and the software supplied with the scanner. Both seem to create all the correct freq's and trunk ID's in the radio. Both seem to create the freqs as Motorola, which everything I read about the Pro 96 and p25 says is correct.

I have also tried using the Pro96Com software with the scanner and it never see's any digital traffic.

The radio originally had the 1.2 firmware, I updated to 1.3 and 1.4 and no change.

Saskatchewan P25 and Trunktrackers - The RadioReference Wiki
I do find some references to custom tables and/or CPU upgrades to track other p25 systems, is this the case with Meck Co? Does anyone have a Pro 96 successfully tracking Meck Co?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Mark

ermin

Hey folks, I recently picked up a RS Pro 96 to try and listen to the newer p25 radios being used here in Meck Co. I used older RS models for the Motorola system for years and they all worked fine. The older Motorola system still picks up using the Pro 96 but I get nothing when trying to listen to the newer p25 system. I will sometimes see trunk ID's flash across the control channel but that's about it, the static never squelches and no comms.

I got a RR.com account and am downloading the system using both Win96 and the software supplied with the scanner. Both seem to create all the correct freq's and trunk ID's in the radio. Both seem to create the freqs as Motorola, which everything I read about the Pro 96 and p25 says is correct.

I have also tried using the Pro96Com software with the scanner and it never see's any digital traffic.

The radio originally had the 1.2 firmware, I updated to 1.3 and 1.4 and no change.

Saskatchewan P25 and Trunktrackers - The RadioReference Wiki
I do find some references to custom tables and/or CPU upgrades to track other p25 systems, is this the case with Meck Co? Does anyone have a Pro 96 successfully tracking Meck Co?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Mark

Are you talking about Mecklenburg county? (I'm in south Florida) You might need to set the Pro96 to 800 Mhz rebanded which can only be done by software (Mr. Starr's Win96 can do that)

Good Luck

Ermin

MarkBa

Ok I tried using the rebanding settings built-in to Win96 as well as manually entering the settings listed here http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...6-2096-rebanded-motorola-trunked-systems.html

No change in the radio, still static on p25 control channel with the occasional trunk ID showing with DG showing. Also still no output in Pro96Com software either.

Is anyone successfully using a RS pro 96 scanner for Charlotte/Mecklenburg Co. newest p25 system? Any other suggestions?

MarkBa

Follow-up

Just wanted to close this thread out. I purchased a newer scanner, a Uniden BCD396XT and it has no problems with the Char/Meck P25 systems. I also confirmed that the Uniden HomePatrol also works just fine. Obviously the RS Pro-96 was just a little too old to properly decode the current P25 in use here.

Thanks to all that replied.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I recall an instance where in Lapeer county MI where they have a 7 tower simulcast setup, my 396xt was doing fine with it, while anothers pro96 was totally silent during a 30 minute troubleshooting. These radios were made early on probably before simulcast really came into being.

KM4WLV

I think you'll be a lot happier with the 396. I had a Pro-96 for quite a while and it was a great radio but my 396 beats the pants off of it. You may hear some people complain about having receive issues in Mecklenburg with it being simulcast and such but I monitor that system a few days a week and I've never had the first problem with it.

And I know you've got a few posts but let me say welcome to RR and the NC sub forum !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.