Pro96 VS 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobr1956

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at buying a new scanner if you could please tell me 396xt is better than my Pro96 and why it is. If not I will just keep my PRO96. I use mine only for Police/Fire.. I live in Cuyahoga Falls ( Akron) Ohio wondering also about the rebanding thru RadioReferance the ARC96 is this done automatically by this program or do you have to do manually?

Last edited:
sell the Pro-96 while you can still get money for it and i get the Pro-197 for the car and got the GRE-800 for a base scanner works great the GRE-800 always eats batteries so its a base scanner now i did have the BC396XT was a good scanner and did last up to 4 days on the same batteries as the GRE-800 used that only lasted few hours.

Bobr1956

Premium Subscriber
So are you saying the Pro 197 is better than the BC396XT for police and fire? I don't go anywhere with it will be at home in charger.

Nasby

One huge thing to consider is that the PRO-96 will not track the MARCS 700 system. So, if you ever develop an interest to hear OSP working the area, you won't be able to.

If you just want to hear Falls, Stow, Akron, etc. then the PRO-96 will be fine. In fact, many say it is much better at receiving the Summit 800 system than the Uniden units.

Nasby

But I agree with Zimmerman. If you are looking to upgrade your scanner, the PRO-197 is the way to go.

Nasby

I listen to the same system that you are wanting to monitor (Summit 800).

I have both the PRO-106 (handheld) and PRO-197.

My neighbor has the Uniden 996xt. My scanners track this system much better (almost flawlessly) than my neighbor's Uniden.

There are several threads on here about the superior performance of the PRO-106/197 on systems like the Summit 800.

Bobr1956

Premium Subscriber
I like the handheld. Don't know why convenience move room to room. So looks like I will sell my three Pro96 and go with Pro 106. Never had any issues with my Pro 96 just looking at the future of the Rebanding and am I missing anything right now. I had bought the Scancat-lite program have yet after playing with it for the last 5 months to get anything but city workers and metro bus, sorry, but what a joke compared to on here ARC96 was simple to use was up after first try great program,.Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:

Nasby

Good move BobR. You're absolutely right about Scancat being a joke.
You may have to ask the local Radio Shack Manager do a search of other stores to get a PRO-106 for you as they are in short supply for the time being. If you have any trouble, call the Radio Shack on SR 59 in the Walmart Plaza in Ravenna (Franklin Twp). Ask for the manager Brett. He can help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.