Problem monitoring Columbus Fire on MARCS-IP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Hi all,

Is anyone in the Columbus area picking up any other talkgroups for Columbus Fire on MARCS-IP besides the automated dispatch channel? I'm using a BCD436HP and I'm in the city limits. I'm picking up the Automated Dispatch talkgroup fine (TG57002) but absolutely no other traffic on any of the other talkgroups in the system. I've dumped the programming and reprogrammed the radio twice with no luck. Just wondered if I was missing something obvious.

I tried searching the forums and google with no luck.

Thanks in advance!

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
I think that might have been it. I got one communication on a med talk group channel. That is one more communication than I had before.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
i learned something new about my 436HP tonight. Thanks much sir. I'll monitor tomorrow and see if I get more fire traffic.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
Make sure all fire service types are selected under Service Types. Or go to RR database to see how they have the Talkgroups classified for Service Type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Yes, that was the problem. I knew it had to be something simple since I was getting some traffic loud and clear. I had the service type for Fire-Tac set to off. Thanks everyone.

Chief580

Hi all, Can't figure out the problem went clear downtown Col and still not getting any off the CPD or CFD since it been on MARCS-IP. Still get osp with no problem. Any help would be great thanks Kevin

KD8DVR

HP 1 Trying to listen to Col FD and PD have no problem with OSP or SO
What SITE are you listening to? You must monitor Columbus CITY to get CPD and CFD.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, Can't figure out the problem went clear downtown Col and still not getting any off the CPD or CFD since it been on MARCS-IP. Still get osp with no problem. Any help would be great thanks Kevin
Chief580,

I think it's because of simulcast system. I have noticed a big difference in my radios picking up the "Columbus City" sites(s). My 325P2 & 996P2 picks it up no problem from Groveport. My 396 & 996 are useless on "Columbus City", but only on this site(s), even when I drive back toward Licking county. I'm going to take my 536, 436, HP2 & RadioShack scanners next shift, take A pic/video of the comparison and post my results. I have even tried different antennas and using the attenuation, no difference.

I think OSP affiliates with the standard MARCS sites, Franklin County, Bixby, Columbus, & Grove City since they are a true statewide MARCS user.

I may have a bunch of equipment for sale depending on my results.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

firecatohio

I use a pro-688 with a external antenna when I'm at work. I pick up MECC and the coirs systems ok depending on where I'm at as well as the CFD channels. I've noticed depending on where I am is what I'm picking up. IE, when I'm in grove city I'm getting southern Battalion channels along with plain twp, Hamilton and whatever. When I'm in upper area I'm getting northern channels etc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

I'm in Polaris. I've tweaked my antennas to where every system in my area is very good to perfect. I also am in a fixed location. Its all about antennas and location.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments made are personal opinion only and may not indicate actual fact.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Chief580,

I think it's because of simulcast system. I have noticed a big difference in my radios picking up the "Columbus City" sites(s). My 325P2 & 996P2 picks it up no problem from Groveport. My 396 & 996 are useless on "Columbus City", but only on this site(s), even when I drive back toward Licking county. I'm going to take my 536, 436, HP2 & RadioShack scanners next shift, take A pic/video of the comparison and post my results. I have even tried different antennas and using the attenuation, no difference.

I think OSP affiliates with the standard MARCS sites, Franklin County, Bixby, Columbus, & Grove City since they are a true statewide MARCS user.

I may have a bunch of equipment for sale depending on my results.

OK, I finally got a comparison. I have to say the 396xt did slightly better sitting in the window compared to walking around the station. I stopped carrying it for the 325p2 because of how much it cut out. The 436hp seemed to do the best.

Again, this is only on the Columbus City simulcast sites. All do good on independent sites.

I can't get any of my mobile to lock onto the Columbus City system, even with attenuation and a stubby antenna on the back of the radio.

https://youtu.be/nRQpqAPbYdA

Status
Not open for further replies.