Problem with a SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
No I know it wasn't directed at just me but I also know Uniden Support maybe watching this thread so I just wanted to make sure I stated I have not made any modifications to the my scanners I have to send my like new 436 in as well for the repair campaign because I never got around to that either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
No I know it wasn't directed at just me but I also know Uniden Support maybe watching this thread so I just wanted to make sure I stated I have not made any modifications to the my scanners I have to send my like new 436 in as well for the repair campaign because I never got around to that either.

I'm not here to judge, just give advice. No, we do not recommend modifying your scanner, it can void your warranty and deny you repairs outside of it, but I'm sure you know that going in. Still, it's a rewarding hobby that allows you to customize your scanner to your liking. I don't condemn it and even respect it... it can just screw you over

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Also, modifications are picked up by repair and they make decisions on if the unit is going to be repaired, I'm not going to spend my day trying to find out who modifies their scanners and match their user accounts with who they are. Or am I ;)

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Also, modifications are picked up by repair and they make decisions on if the unit is going to be repaired, I'm not going to spend my day trying to find out who modifies their scanners and match their user accounts with who they are. Or am I ;)

How does the q1/q2 transistor become damaged? Is this a "possible" defect during the build out or something else we can all look out for or be careful not to do?

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
How does the q1/q2 transistor become damaged? Is this a "possible" defect during the build out or something else we can all look out for or be careful not to do?

Honestly, depending on what they are being used for, transistors have a fairly high failure rate compared to other components in any electronic. One of the main functions of them is to amplify current, and any shorts in the system can cause a lot of stress on them. We haven't had a ton of SDS100s go through our repair department, and those are not commonly the reason they have.

It is possible it is a manufacturing defect; anyone who has worked in a factory can tell you mistakes can happen. it's the job of ISO compliance to minimize that, and it's a big part of why we have warranties. A transistor is likely to fail if any of the components in the circuit have a problem, so while they may pop up as a replaced part often, it can be caused by any number of failures. We track all of these failures and if there was any sort of common defect, we remedy them, but it does not seem to be the case here.

Most likely it's not anything you are doing with your unit, you can help ensure the health of your scanner by avoiding dropping it, making sure it has good air flow around it, and as hard as it may be, sometimes it's good to give them a bit of a rest.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, depending on what they are being used for, transistors have a fairly high failure rate compared to other components in any electronic. One of the main functions of them is to amplify current, and any shorts in the system can cause a lot of stress on them. We haven't had a ton of SDS100s go through our repair department, and those are not commonly the reason they have.

It is possible it is a manufacturing defect; anyone who has worked in a factory can tell you mistakes can happen. it's the job of ISO compliance to minimize that, and it's a big part of why we have warranties. A transistor is likely to fail if any of the components in the circuit have a problem, so while they may pop up as a replaced part often, it can be caused by any number of failures. We track all of these failures and if there was any sort of common defect, we remedy them, but it does not seem to be the case here.

Most likely it's not anything you are doing with your unit, you can help ensure the health of your scanner by avoiding dropping it, making sure it has good air flow around it, and as hard as it may be, sometimes it's good to give them a bit of a rest.

Thank you for the explanation and suggestions.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Specifically, Q1 and Q2 are prone to damage by high RF exposure. They are part of the RF Amp/AGC circuit (just past the band filters).

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Should I send my sds100 in for warranty repair? The highest receive I have seen on vhf is a pager on 152mhz and it has an rssi about -75 when active. Tuning another scanner of mine to the pager frequency I notice all signal within 3 or 4 mhz get completely silent and no rssi value at all..
I have tried a par vhf 152mhz pager filter but that knocks everything I want to hear out in the 151-155mhz range.Would an rssi of -75 on a 152 mhz pager frequency cause a complete desense? Other scanners on stock antenna do not have this problem. Other than that this scanner now works beautifully just the vhf issues. Love the display and the ease of use. Also I use a custom favorites list. 1 more question? Is there a way to deactivate the 3 upgrades as they did not work at a time and i disputed them 3 charges and want to disable those upgrades on the sds100. Thank you..

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Specifically, Q1 and Q2 are prone to damage by high RF exposure. They are part of the RF Amp/AGC circuit (just past the band filters).

I'd be curious as to whether more failures were experienced by Hams than by others.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I am going to call Uniden on Monday and send both of my SDS100s in for warranty repairs and we will see where we go from there I will keep you all posted on how it goes and the outcome and quality of audio after the repairs. Hopefully they can fix the keypad light on them as well as they are quite dim right now. I also have to send in my 436 and 536 for failing displays and RTC issues all sorts of uniden fun coming my way. As I said I will keep the thread updated

CQ

Typcial Use Case

Distance from TX and RX antennas?

Define high power.

So having a mobile RX antenna connected to the SDS100 mounted anywhere from 2 - 6 ft. and receiving up to 50W from a TX antenna is going to kill the scanner if it's on?

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
So having a mobile RX antenna connected to the SDS100 mounted anywhere from 2 - 6 ft. and receiving up to 50W from a TX antenna is going to kill the scanner if it's on?

Can confirm — I needed Q1 & Q2 to get replaced on my HP-1 by putting 50w into it from 10ft away at VHF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Horsepuckey. I transmit 50-100 watts PEP VHF (2m) on my Icom 746 Pro quite often (usually everyday) and my SDS100 sits on a desk stand 3-ft away and is not affected in the least. No problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
Horsepuckey. I transmit 50-100 watts PEP VHF (2m) on my Icom 746 Pro quite often (usually everyday) and my SDS100 sits on a desk stand 3-ft away and is not affected in the least. No problems whatsoever.

I love that you think your situation applies universally. Your antenna for the Icom probably isn’t all that close...it’s probably outside past roof level...vertical separation is more effective than horizontal separation. PEP is also different to RMS.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I love that you think your situation applies universally. Your antenna for the Icom probably isn’t all that close...it’s probably outside past roof level...vertical separation is more effective than horizontal separation. PEP is also different to RMS.

I love it that you think you know how I have my antennas set up. I also really appreciate the power theory clarification. What would I do without you?

My situation only applies to me, myself. Nothing universal intended there. I transmit on several different radios at my station, none of which affect my SDS100's inner circuitry. At no time did I intend to insinuate that my situation applies universally. How you came up with that defies reason. (?) No explanation needed tho, thanks anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.