Problem with PRO-96

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickBW

I picked up a used Pro-96 and I have had many other scanners, but was forced to buy a new one due to rebanding. At any rate, the scanner looked good and powered up just fine. No frequencies were in the scanner so I couldn't test that out. When I did enter frequencies, the unit would not scan. At first I tried to use trunked channels but then reset the unit and tried various (known) standard FM frequencies for local agencies near my home. Still the unit would not scan. I even tried the weather channel button, and there was no audio, but I would hear loud static when the SQ was turned down. Not sure what's going on with the unit, if its user error (okay I shouldn't have pushed that button) or a problem with the radio. I think its the radio as it won't even work on the pre-programmed weather channels, where I only get static over the speaker.

I can't return the radio, so if it appears that there is mechanical error, then it looks like a trip to radio shack for a service event. Please let me now what you thing.

Thank you,
Patrick

I picked up a used Pro-96 and I have had many other scanners, but was forced to buy a new one due to rebanding. At any rate, the scanner looked good and powered up just fine. No frequencies were in the scanner so I couldn't test that out. When I did enter frequencies, the unit would not scan. At first I tried to use trunked channels but then reset the unit and tried various (known) standard FM frequencies for local agencies near my home. Still the unit would not scan. I even tried the weather channel button, and there was no audio, but I would hear loud static when the SQ was turned down. Not sure what's going on with the unit, if its user error (okay I shouldn't have pushed that button) or a problem with the radio. I think its the radio as it won't even work on the pre-programmed weather channels, where I only get static over the speaker.

I can't return the radio, so if it appears that there is mechanical error, then it looks like a trip to radio shack for a service event. Please let me now what you thing.

Thank you,
Patrick

Try putting these control channels in. 866.22500 866.96250 try to put at least one talkgroup in such as dispatch and see what happens http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Programming_Shortcut_Pro-96

Last edited:

PatrickBW

Problem with Pro 96

Put the control freq in, no good. Still won't scan. I went to manual mode and monitored the control freq in that mode, no broadcasts...Turned SQ off and only got static. Then finally went back to the weather channel, no broadcast only static. Changed out the batteries and tested them, they were okay. Opened the back case...Ant appeared to be screwed in tight and no broken connector. Not sure what to try next??

PatrickBW

Thank you for the folks that took a look at my problematic Pro96. I decided to stop pushing buttons on the radio and driving myself crazy. I took it into Radio Shack today and after educating the staff that this wasn't a rebanding issue, they took the unit for repair. $20 lighter and off it went. Will find out in a couple of weeks what the cost of repair will be. Nice they have a website to track the repair process.

Status
Not open for further replies.