• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Problem with vintage Turner Plus Three mic with UNIDEN 980SSB. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrfeeney

I just bought a Turner Plus 3 mic from Ebay. It is a 4 pin connector which connects to a UNIDEN 4pin to 6 pin adapter that came with my UNIDEN 980SSB radio.

I inserted a new 9v battery and connected it to my UNIDEN 980SSB radio, and the mic is malfunctioning.

Every time I push the TX key, it changes the channel of the UNIDEN 980SSB. If I am on 19, and hit the TX key, the channel changes to 20. Every press changes the channel again.

I took the 9v battery out. Same behavior.

There is a two position switch on the bottom of the Turner mic labeled ELECTRONIC RELAY (see photos). I changed the switch setting from DOWN (prior) to UP. When switch is up, the behavior changes.

With the ELECTRONIC RELAY switch UP, now the Turner mic transmits with the TX key in the UP unpressed position. To stop transmitting, I have to press the TX down, hold it down, or lock it down. However, it does not CHANGE CHANNELS. I have to lock the TX key down to stop transmitting. I don't think that's how the mic is designed to work.

I appreciate any feedback. I don't think I can return this mic to the seller, so if I can't fix it (or understand what I am doing wrong), I am stuck with it. :(

David

Attachments

• 20180204_044345.jpg
    20180204_044345.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 725
  • 20180204_044358.jpg
    20180204_044358.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 633

kc8kek

Even though a mic has a 4-pin connector, not every brand uses the same wiring scheme. For example, some Radio Shack 4-pin mics would not work on Uniden/Galaxy/Cobra radios without modification. This gets more common as you go back in time, when there were more manufacturers in the market. The four wires [shield, TX, audio, RX] may be on different pins. I'm sure this is a case where the Turner was used on a radio that was configured differently. I would open up the bottom and find out which wires are assigned to which pins, and maybe just rewire and replace the whole cord using the standard 4-pin diagram, deleting the whole relay circuit.

Do an image search for that mic diagram, and it should give you a good place to start.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Just because an adapter cable fits, doesn't mean it is wired correctly for your application. There are many wiring variants of various connectors used over the years.

the wiring diagram to the turner mic:
https://forums.radioreference.com/cb-radio-forum/325785-turner.html

You'll have to search the net for the wiring on your uniden 980.... they don't even have this in the owner's manual like they used to....
https://www.uniden.com/File Library/FooterNav/Product Information/Owners Manuals/BEARCAT980om.pdf

coundn't find anything after a quick 5 minute check on the net...but it shouldn't be too hard to find if you do some searching on your own.
Then you just need to rev-up...er... heat-up your soldering iron !!

Last edited:

davidrfeeney

Thanks, everyone. Your advice is similar to all my other sources so far today. I've gotten some great tips to try to get this mic to work.

FYI, here is the TURNER PLUS 3 four pin connector with the cover off. I haven't changed anything yet, just took the cover off.

Yup, gotta learn to solder. EBAY, here I come... LOL

David

Attachments

• 20180204_094137.jpg
    20180204_094137.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 600

The thing is this mic. was wired from the previous owner but for wich radio ??? they originally sold without any connector so it was (and still is) up to the buyer to figure out the match.

Discard the adaptor and purchase the right connector while you are on ebay ! much simpler.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Discard the adaptor and purchase the right connector while you are on ebay ! much simpler.

The OP already has the correct connector on the adapter cable. It isn't wired correctly. The OP needs to look up the wiring diagram for the mic, and the pin assignments for the radio connector, then remove the connector from the adapter cable and solder it directly to the mic cable following the pinout data for the radio and mic.

davidrfeeney

The OP already has the correct connector on the adapter cable. It isn't wired correctly. The OP needs to look up the wiring diagram for the mic, and the pin assignments for the radio connector, then remove the connector from the adapter cable and solder it directly to the mic cable following the pinout data for the radio and mic.

Now that's a good idea!

The EBAY seller messaged me today, and said it was wired for a 4 PIN COBRA.

Is there an adapter that will connect to my UNIDEN 980SSB radio directly? Or to the UNIDEN 4pin to 6pin adapter that came with the radio?

Thanks for your help, folks.

David

davidrfeeney

Bear in mind, I am a newbie who doesn't even own a soldering set... yet :)

The EBAY seller told me today that the TURNER PLUS 3 mic he sold me is "wired for a COBRA 4 pin"

Can I purchase a UNIDEN 980SSB to COBRA 4 PIN adapter, the attach the intact TURNER PLUS 3 MIC to that new adapter... and avoid the wiring and soldering?

David

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
At some point the padawan must learn to make his own lightsaber. It's just part of attaching aftermarket mics to a CB. There are too many permutations of connectors and wiring pinouts to make it practical to make adapters. You'd literally need hundreds to cover all the variations of input and output plugs and wiring variations.

davidrfeeney

At some point the padawan must learn to make his own lightsaber. It's just part of attaching aftermarket mics to a CB. There are too many permutations of connectors and wiring pinouts to make it practical to make adapters. You'd literally need hundreds to cover all the variations of input and output plugs and wiring variations.

Ha ha! Time to buy a soldering set, it is (Yoda). LOL

davidrfeeney

Now here is some help, i found some info here:
Copper Talk: CB Mic hook up (Astatic D104M6B and Uniden 980SSB)

Uniden 980 SSB mike pin out

(STOCK) MIC PINOUT:

PIN COLOR FUNCTION
1: YELLOW Audio HOT
2: BLACK RX switching
3: RED TX switching
4: N/C
5: SHIELD
6: 7.8VDC (as-found on this radio)is phantom power for power mic * or N/C

combine that with the Turner wiring here:
https://forums.radioreference.com/cb-radio-forum/325785-turner.html

and you have the match.

OK, this is very helpful, thanks. Time to buy a soldering set, I guess. EBAY, here I come. LOL

DJ11DLN

Many retailers carry the low wattage soldering iron you need, as well as the necessary electrical solder, flux, etc. Google will find you unlimited online tutorials to help you learn. Get some scrap wire and play around with it before you attempt to de-solder the connector and correctly wire it for your radio. You might want to pick up some burn creme before you start...just in case.:p

This was standard practice when the Plus 3 was in production. It seemed that no two brands used the same wiring on that 4-pin connector. This included multiple brands made by Uniden, or using Uniden components. Sometimes different models of the same brand had different wiring for the mics. Using an adapter was unheard of, but then most owner's manuals included schematics so that one could easily figure out how to correctly wire the connector.

davidrfeeney

Thanks, I am pricing out the stuff now. At least I get to buy stuff. :)

I might need to take the TURNER PLUS THREE mic (and I assume, the radio too) into a local shop and let them handle it, and spiff up the TURNER PLUS 3 internals while they're at it. :)

One problem... the local CB shop around these parts says they only work on items bought from their store. :(

You really only need to solder the wires on your 6 pin connector and see if it works before spending more money getting checked at a shop. It may work on first try you know ? you already got it to key up,just need to see if the audio is ok. Use jumpers in the mean time to test if you don't have a soldering iron.

davidrfeeney

You really only need to solder the wires on your 6 pin connector and see if it works before spending more money getting checked at a shop. It may work on first try you know ? you already got it to key up,just need to see if the audio is ok. Use jumpers in the mean time to test if you don't have a soldering iron.

OK, understood.

What are "jumpers"? My ignorance knows no limits. :) Do you mean these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX25HFX/_encoding=UTF8

So I could put these alligator clips from the 4 pins on the TURNER PLUS 3 mic to the 6 pins on the front face of the UNIDEN 980SSB radio, to see what happens? Or to see what pin connections make it work normally?

Then when I find that out, I'll know exactly what pin(s) to rewire/solder?

Yes those are some of the "jumpers" you can use .

Try this:

your radio: Turner mic
pin 1: audio white wire
pin 2: RX red or black ?
pin 3: TX black or red ?
pin 4 : --------
pin 5 : shield shield
pin 6 :---------

prcguy

While your at it buy a cheap digital multimeter. You can use that to verify which wire in the mic is grounded during receive and which grounds when the PTT bar is pushed. The original color code for the +3 is online but if someone changed the mic cable all bets are off. If you have a Harbor Freight tool store near you they are giving away multimeters free with a coupon.

I would also get some heat shrink tubing, preferably the hot glue type about 5/16 ID or whatever fits over the mic cord. After you strip and tin the wires to go on the mic plug, put about 1 1/2" of heatshrink on the mic cable to act as a strain relief under the connector cable clamp.
prcguy

OK, understood.

What are "jumpers"? My ignorance knows no limits. :) Do you mean these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX25HFX/_encoding=UTF8

So I could put these alligator clips from the 4 pins on the TURNER PLUS 3 mic to the 6 pins on the front face of the UNIDEN 980SSB radio, to see what happens? Or to see what pin connections make it work normally?

Then when I find that out, I'll know exactly what pin(s) to rewire/solder?

Status
Not open for further replies.