TRX-1: Problems with fw 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melv7956

Anyone else experienced this with the latest firmware? I found 4.3 made my trunk dmr systems miss chunks of the conversation . I went back to 4.1 (4.2 had bugs) and problem solved. The other night I connected it to another computer and like a prat accepted the update to 4.3 before I realised my mistake. Again the conversations were missing "overs" and the scanner remained silent as I compared it with a Motorola radio I knew as the Moto was receiving fine. Again reverted back to 4.1 and all is well again. If you don't monitor any dmr trunk stuff then it's fine. Normal conventional dmr is unaffected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 Problems with 4.3

Yes. I've had those starting with 4.1 I have 2 videos on Youtube right after the free DMR upgrade to my WS1080. Was working fine as the videos show. Reception good and hearing 2 sides of conversations *on most* transmissions. AFTER 4.1 - 4.3? I get one side of the conversation and the "S" just flashes and drops after. NOTHING like those videos now. I figured, well... the SITE I'm monitoring only has a FIVE mile range around Ohare Airport in Chi-raq. SO I drove over there with the same DMR system set up as a Trunked system and also in another V-folder as Conventional DMRs. Everything was coming in strong and the same things happen when trying it as a trunked system even next to the Airport site. Conventional set up ...only some of the transmissions have 2 sides. I've seen the other thread in here that went on and on about Uniden DMR vs Whistler...blah blah. So I'm simply waiting to see if the NEXT update will do anything to make things better. If not? meh... The DMR sites around me are only businesses so it's not a dire need. I can hear a lot in Conventional DMR setups too. I'll let the arguments rage on.

Last edited by a moderator:

troymail

Silent Key
Yes. I've had those starting with 4.1 I have 2 videos on Youtube right after the free DMR upgrade to my WS1080. Was working fine as the videos show. Reception good and hearing 2 sides of conversations *on most* transmissions. AFTER 4.1 - 4.3? I get one side of the conversation and the "S" just flashes and drops after. NOTHING like those videos now. I figured, well... the SITE I'm monitoring only has a FIVE mile range around Ohare Airport in Chi-raq. SO I drove over there with the same DMR system set up as a Trunked system and also in another V-folder as Conventional DMRs. Everything was coming in strong and the same things happen when trying it as a trunked system even next to the Airport site. Conventional set up ...only some of the transmissions have 2 sides. I've seen the other thread in here that went on and on about Uniden DMR vs Whistler...blah blah. So I'm simply waiting to see if the NEXT update will do anything to make things better. If not? meh... The DMR sites around me are only businesses so it's not a dire need. I can hear a lot in Conventional DMR setups too. I'll let the arguments rage on.

Curious - which O'Hare area system?

TAbirdman

try adjusting the ADC gain – bring it up a few and give it a try. With the latest FW is set at -2 - bring it up to 0 or +1 and give it a whirl.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone-
The previous versions of the firmware are now listed on our website. If you visit our downloads page for your scanner of choice and click the CPU Firmware link - you will now see "Previous Versions" listed. Choose that link and then the previous version you are looking for.

https://whistlergroup.com/products/trx-1-cpu-firmware-installer

Thanks for your patience as we got them setup for you!

-Whistler Wendy

chetp

Premium Subscriber
Wendy
Can they also make previous versions available for the 1095 ? The current version has killed simulcast receive performance. Last version that had some functionality was 2.9. Thanks !

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@Troymail - Ohare United Airlines DMR site#2 programmed as a trunked system - I've dropped back to 4.1 for WS1080. THAT is the one where all the problems started, but there's no 4.0 or earlier listed. I'll have to settle for that. Thanks to Wendy and Whistler for listing those.

TAbirdman

a friend had DMR issues after the latest update and I had him change the ADC gain and it started picking up fine. Just throwing it out there again as no one commented about trying it just about going backwards.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Best firmware version for simulcast?

Does anyone have any experience with or an opinion about the best TRX-1 firmware version for P25 simulcast?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
a friend had DMR issues after the latest update and I had him change the ADC gain and it started picking up fine. Just throwing it out there again as no one commented about trying it just about going backwards.

Hi, TAbirdman.
I don't have any nearby trunked DMR systems to test, but I thought I'd try your suggestion to see if it might help with a local P25 simulcast system. So far, adjusting the ADC gain doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Thanks.

Melv7956

Hi, TAbirdman.

I don't have any nearby trunked DMR systems to test, but I thought I'd try your suggestion to see if it might help with a local P25 simulcast system. So far, adjusting the ADC gain doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Thanks.

Is it ADC gain or AGC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1

@KC5igh - No scanner from Uniden or Whistler can handle that Simulcast problem. I've had my WS1080 for 2 years and nothing you do with the ADC or DAC or DSP adjust has any affect on that problem. That whole issue is location, location, location. Where I am the interference is too great. BUT at the end of my county away from it all EVEN in my brother's basement I get 3 different Trunked Simulcast sites in perfect. Even Phase 2. So what DID help me beat it here was THIS Yagi from scannermaster ->> Indoor 700/800 MHz Yagi Directional Antenna with Desktop Stand | Scanner Master

I got it for under $100 when it first came out, then after about 5 months they jacked the price way up. It's great. Can't say enough good things about it. BUT I CAN'T recommend that little $29.95 one they just came out with that does 400-960 mhz

400-960Mhz 7dBi, SpectrumForce Yagi Base Antenna | Scanner Master

I have it and it's totally deaf on 800hz, doesn't fix Simulcast interference at all. Is only good on 400-520mhz. You get what you pay for for sure in this case. There's always the G4/G5 voice pager from Unication on sale now with a $200 dollar discount until Jan 15-2017.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
@KC5igh - No scanner from Uniden or Whistler can handle that Simulcast problem. I've had my WS1080 for 2 years and nothing you do with the ADC or DAC or DSP adjust has any affect on that problem. That whole issue is location, location, location. Where I am the interference is too great. BUT at the end of my county away from it all EVEN in my brother's basement I get 3 different Trunked Simulcast sites in perfect. Even Phase 2. So what DID help me beat it here was THIS Yagi from scannermaster ->> Indoor 700/800 MHz Yagi Directional Antenna with Desktop Stand | Scanner Master

Thanks, Johnnydollar2.

The reason I was asking about the firmware versions' impact on simulcast systems is that my new TRX-1 seemed to perform better on LSM before FW 4.1. To make things even more interesting, my ancient PSR-800 is working better at my location, as is my Uniden BCD325P2 when I set its P25 threshold level at 8.

The system I'm monitoring is transmitting in the 406 to 420 MHz range and is about 40 miles away, so I don't know if a directional antenna tuned for 700 to 800 will help, but I'll look into it.

Other than that issue, I'm really liking the TRX-1. It's terrific on conventional and trunked P25 as well as conventional DMR (no nearby trunked DMR), and it's much more effective in my listening environment (rural, mountainous) than my BCD436HP, which is nearly deaf, especially on VHF.

-Johnnie

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Clarification to my previous message to Johnnydollar2:

I should add that I'm not certain what the original FW version was that came with my TRX-1. I eventually updated everything, but I haven't moved to FW 4.3 after reading about the problems some people have been having with it.

Thanks again.

-Johnnie

Status
Not open for further replies.