HP-2: Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltcraw

Premium Subscriber
Running HP 2 next to RS pro 106--the freqs on Pro 106 are from RR--I am in Del Rio Tx area-I pick up trans on 106 that show 154.3700-P25:133 and from 154.3700 Wildcard 13996 that I cannot pick up on HP 2--Is this a programming prob or scanner issue?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Impossible to answer that unless you post the programming for your HP-2 and give more info about what antennas you're using, etc.

marksmith

Probably a programming problem as the HP2 is well capable of receiving.

But without knowing how your HP2 is set up, service types active, etc, tough to help.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Saltcraw

Premium Subscriber
I have been using the full database and put location as Del Rio, have tried the county (Val Verde), and zip code. I have selected service types emergency ops, ems dispatch, ems-tac, ems-talk,fire dispatch, fire-tac, interop,law dispatch, law tac, law talk, mulit tac, and multi-talk--for some reason I get some of the pd dispatch but miss a lot on the channels mentioned above. I have used rubber duck that came with unit and purchased a radio shack telescopic antenna--the RS 106 is using the rubber duck that came with unit.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Running HP 2 next to RS pro 106--the freqs on Pro 106 are from RR--I am in Del Rio Tx area-I pick up trans on 106 that show 154.3700-P25:133 and from 154.3700 Wildcard 13996 that I cannot pick up on HP 2--Is this a programming prob or scanner issue?

In Val Verde County there is nothing in the DB

Val Verde County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

At least not that I see. nIf you have something different - point to it in the BD.
Frequency 154.370 is one of the listed ones for the Del Rio site of this system: Greater Austin/Travis Regional Radio System (GATRRS) Trunking System, Austin, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

I would hazard a guess that picking it up on the Pro-106 showing a NAC code (the P25: 133 you noted), that the Pro-106 has that frequency entered as a conventional object, possibly from when the channel was used in that manner, before communications shifted over to the trunked system. If you were listening to one of the site frequencies direct (in other words, entering as specific channels instead of for a site), then that may be why the Pro-106 is displaying that.

Your wildcard hit on 13996, also from the Pro-106, is well outside the range of talkgroups listed for GATRRS. that may be either a patch, or perhaps a private call (between two individual units).

The HP-2 would not pick up 154.370 as a conventional frequency because it is not in the database that way for your area. Similarly, the HP-2 would not pick up that wildcard hit, unless you had the trunked system scanning in ID-Search mode instead of the default ID-Scan. It would not pick up TGID 13996 as an iCall (Uniden's term for a private call) unless you had the wildcard for that entered.

marksmith

AHA.
So it sounds like you need to create a favorites list in the HP2, and then append thst system (or at least a local part of it) into the favorites list.

I would then set it to Search instead of scan. I would suggest you will hear probably a lot more than you might from the 1 frequency on the 106.

Mark

Saltcraw

Premium Subscriber
I'll give the favorite list search a try. Very disappointing that the 6 or 7 year old scanner picks up those transmissions and this HP 2 won't. I can receive some things from GATRRS but not these. Thanks for your help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'll give the favorite list search a try. Very disappointing that the 6 or 7 year old scanner picks up those transmissions and this HP 2 won't. I can receive some things from GATRRS but not these. Thanks for your help.
I doubt it's a case of you "can't" receive these on the HP-2. It's much more likely that, using the main database, your location, and selective service types, the GATRRS traffic that you hear on the Pro-106 is not enabled in the HP-2. The stock antenna on the Pro-106 (which was made by GRE) is, in my opinion, a better one than the stock antenna for the HP-2, but not that much better.

The default Service Types for the Home Patrol series of scanners, right out of the box, is mainly dispatch channels, in other words, "law Dispatch', 'Fire Dispatch', and 'EMS Dispatch'. But much of the activity will be on channels or talkgroups tagged as Law Tac, Law Talk, Fire Tac, Fire Talk, etc. Make sure that those are enabled. The Service Type is the tag that you see on the far right of the database information you see online in the RadioReference database. Take a look at the database page for your county: Val Verde County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Now, look at the frequencies listed for the county (the Vhf-high conventional ones, just for illustration purposes).

For "Sheriff Dispatch", 155.6400, it's tagged as Law Dispatch. The rest of the entries are tagged as something other than 'dispatch'. On your scanner itself, Select Menu (at the lower left corner of the display). That takes you to the Main Menu. One of the choices there is Select Service types. Select that, and you'll go to a listing of the various service types that can be used. Enable the ones you want, disable others that do not interest you.

You can create a favorites list by appending systems from the main database. See this for examples. That's something I put together for someone else, in a different area, but the principles are the same as what you may want to do.

You can also create a Favorites List in the Sentinel software.
Start Sentinel
If you not recently done so, I would suggest that you update it to the latest database version, These come out weekly, usually Mondays. The version date of what you currently have shows on the lower left corner of the Sentinel window.

Once your update is done, then select the Profile Editor, either from the Edit drop-down menu, or by clicking the icon that looks like a pencil over a piece of paper, right under the 'V' in View on the top menu items.
In the Profile Edit window that pops up, set your location, and the range desired.

On the Service Types tab, make sure that the services you want are enabled with a check mark.
On the Favorites List tab, you can set which lists you've created are downloaded to the scanner, and which are scanned by default when the scanner is turned on.

Now, go to the Edit drop-down menu
Select the menu item "Add Channels on Range"
You'll get a pop-up window to confirm your location, range, & desired Service Types.
Verify that those are as desired, then click OK.
You'll get a pop-up asking what Favorites list to add these to, or create a new list, giving it a name.
Sentinel will create the list using your selections. You can then edit if desired, to tweak exactly what will be scanned. Once you have it set, then go back to the profile editor and make sure that your new list is set to be downloaded to the scanner, as well as scanned by default. Then do a 'write to scanner' to load it.

How do I search, not scan, with the HP 2?
You can only set a trunked system to ID Search if scanning from a Favorites list.
This can only be done directly on the scanner if you have purchased the Extreme Upgrade. If you don't have the Extreme, then you can still make this select via Sentinel.

In Sentinel, start the Favorites Editor by either selecting that option from the drop-down Edit menu, or by clicking the icon that resembles a pencil over a star, located under the 'w' in View on the top menu items.
In the Edit window, select the system you want to change.
Click on the System name.
Click on the Options tab,
Set ID Search to on.
Be sure and save your changes before exiting the editor.

Saltcraw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve--I will study all of that and see what I can do. I did purchase the extreme upgrade. I fell that this scanner should get those transmissions but just can't figure out how to get there. Thanks again.

marksmith

The HP2 will receive them just fine. Every bit as well as the 6 or 7 year old radio. You just have to program the radio correctly. Your old radio will get more too if it is programmed as a system, and not just one frequency from a complete system.

By picking zip codes or other stuff, you were not even programming the radio to receive what you wanted. Don't blame the radio for that. The "disappointment" should not be there for the radio, but the fact that it is programmed differently.

You could actually program the HP2 incorrectly like your old radio, and be able to listen to part of a system like it is doing.

Mark

Saltcraw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all of your help, I have found out that l.e. in this area uses both trunked and conventional. I have found both by using the discover function, again thanks to you. Now, I can't figure out how to add the conventional frequencies to the rr database downloaded for my area. I only get the trunked frequencies when I use the location function. Thanks

marksmith

The best way to scan what you want is to create a favorites list. Then you can go into the database, and whatever you want to scan, just right click-append that system or group of frequencies to your favorites list.

You will soon stay away from the full database and scanning based on that except if you are traveling and use a gaps.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Saltcraw

Premium Subscriber
I have a favorites list. I find the conventional channels by searching a frequency range but don't know how to append that to the favorites list. I don't have a name assigned when I search the range. I just get P25, 133.

Status
Not open for further replies.