Processing power for sdr

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozerman2009

Premium Subscriber
Currently I am running sdr on a amd x64 and it freezes all the time even with the fft off so I am wanting an opinion on weather I should go with a new i5 or i7 what results have you guys had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I am running a SDRPlay-RSR on a win 7 laptop.

I was having the same problem.

The combination too many win7 backgrounds apps running hogging CPU time, and HDSDR or SDRuno wanting a lot of CPU time was causing freezing, and made the audio output sound like Max Headroom.

I found that narrowing "BW" (how wide the frequency viewing window is), and turning off wuauserv.exe ( the Win7 Update Auto Update SERVice EXEcutable) gave me enough free CPU time to avoid freezing.

dozerman2009

Premium Subscriber
I am running a SDRPlay-RSR on a win 7 laptop.

I was having the same problem.

The combination too many win7 backgrounds apps running hogging CPU time, and HDSDR or SDRuno wanting a lot of CPU time was causing freezing, and made the audio output sound like Max Headroom.

I found that narrowing "BW" (how wide the frequency viewing window is), and turning off wuauserv.exe ( the Win7 Update Auto Update SERVice EXEcutable) gave me enough free CPU time to avoid freezing.

Could it be the same on windows 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allandunn

Yes. I found many unneeded scripts running hogging cpu time. Many were from Chrome, and I do not use the Chrome browser. I went to Firefox that has an add-on called NoScript that allows me to permit scripts needed on any given web site but only when I am on that web site. That has helped.

moonbounce

I have an i5 with 4gb of ram running dsdplus version 1.74, SDR Sharp and VB Cable while doing that I surf the net without my computer breaking a sweat.

MB

p1879

Great topic, I bought an old Win 7 laptop as a dedicated sdr computer for SDRPlay.I had some issues with a hot mic giving feedback,and the great folks at the FB SDRPlay group gave me good advice on dumping the drivers and reloading that fixed the feedback. I found the SDRPlay fine on adsb, and very muddy on hf. Switching back to my small, quad-core Acer desktop I had great results again.

I still would like to run the old Windows7 computer for my dedicated sdr computer, and the tips stated so far seem promising. I am hoping some will chime in with more useful info.
The Win 7 laptop, a Dell, is an i3@ 2.53 Gigaherz with 6 gb ram, 64-bit. Looks like to me that should be enough horsepower.
thanks guys!

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
Question along these lines, loaded SDR Sharp on ,y win 7 machine,went thru the whole thing to enter drivers, said it had worked. When I try to run SDR sharp it has the dongle listed but when I try to start it is says no device selected. Help?

samsat

Question along these lines, loaded SDR Sharp on ,y win 7 machine,went thru the whole thing to enter drivers, said it had worked. When I try to run SDR sharp it has the dongle listed but when I try to start it is says no device selected. Help?

Did you run the install-rtlsdr.bat batch file first before starting SDR#?

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
I think I did but not sure, will go back thru instructions and try to see. The window opens for SDR sharp, Thanks for input.

p1879

I found a quad-core business computer that I am going to put a ssd in for a radio computer. It has a serial port!! That makes working with my old cat-controlled stuff so much easier.
I have hopes this will be well suited for my SDRPlay.
This is an old system, but has a lot of connectivity and ram. I could have bought an i5 laptop for about the same price, though....

Status
Not open for further replies.